[Support request] Two blogs – Masonry and "normal"

Home Forums Support [Support request] Two blogs – Masonry and "normal"

Home Forums Support Two blogs – Masonry and "normal"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    tux

Hi!

I’d really like to add an additional blog with the “common layout” to my already existing masonry/tiles blog. How is this possible?

And I`d really like to add a filter to my masonry blog, so that just the blog entries connected to a certain “topic” will show up. What would be the best way to do this?

Thank you in advance!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I think the easiest way is to use Tom’s WP Show Posts plugin ๐Ÿ™‚
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/wp-show-posts/

It should be able to do all those things.

Let me know.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can turn off masonry by default, then enable it within certain conditions: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-columns-in-the-blog/#adding-masonry-to-your-custom-post-type

So instead of is_post_type_archive( 'portfolio' ) you could use is_category( 'Category Name' ) or whatever.

tux

So, let me clarify as I think I wasn’t quite good in explaining what I’d like to do. Sorry, it’s still difficult to explain these kind of things in a foreign language.

My front page is set to display recent posts. I want the front page to show all my posts connected to the category “front-page” in masonry style.

Then there is a second site, let’s call it “Blog” which I’d like to show posts connected to the category “blog” – neither in the column-style, nor in the masonry style.

I used your linked example with “is_front_page() && is_home()” as condition. Now the front page is in masonry – perfect!

I found a snippet which I think would be necessary. It filters out all the entries which should only show up on the “Blog”

add_action( 'pre_get_posts', 'my_home_category' );
    function my_home_category( $query ) { 
        if ( $query->is_front_page() && $query->is_main_query() ) { 
            $query->set( 'cat', '1'); 
        } 
    }

Now, I just need to “activate” a feature, so that the “Blog” site show my posts too, instead of just the front page. I think I could apply the same code as inserted above to filter out the posts which should only show up on the other site.

Thank you again for your awesome help!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Looks like you’re pretty much there!

For the “Blog” site, you could just use the built in category template?

Let me know if that doesn’t work for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.