[Resolved] Tweaking "everything"

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Tweaking "everything"

Home Forums Support Tweaking "everything"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Randy

Hi Tom

I’m new to GP and love it — I was using Canvas before, but as you know it is reaching End of Life, and I’m slowly moving my sites to GP before Canvas is no longer supported: I can’t afford to have major production sites break. I think your approach is excellent: tight code, clean output, use a Premium Plug-In for extension/customization. I was very happy to pay for that: it does a LOT of what I need to customize my sites without having to do a lot of function hacking and CSS tinkering, since I’m only so-so in ability on those.

So with that, I’d love to see one more module in your Premium plugin: tweaks. A *lot* of tweaks. For instance, at the bottom of posts I get a light gray previous/next navigation pair:

< Previous post title
    > Next post title

I really want to tweak those, but I’m not sure how (see: “only so-so in ability” above). In pseudocode, what I’d much rather have is:

<align=”left”><link coding>Previous Post: Previous post title</link></align><align=”right”><link coding>Next Post: Next post title</link></align>

Now, I’m not expecting the plugin to be able to tweak every possible layout option, but just replacing “<” with “Previous Post:” is well beyond me, let alone how to make it bigger, bolder, not gray, etc. And THEN figure out horizontal alignment issues? Now I’m really getting lost.

So to have the plugin allow tweaks for pretty much every other element that’s not already covered — meta text? How the post author/date/category list is handled? Some sort of separator between buttons on the navbar (and its width, color, etc.)? There’s a million tweaks that can be done, and I dare say the average site owner doesn’t have lots of mad WP/php/css skillz to do them. Your plugin gets 90% of the customization done, but unless I’m missing it somewhere, most of the “small” tweaks for than last 10% aren’t included anywhere, and I’d love to have a module to do a lot of that kind of tweaking.

Another example: at the top of a post, you have a line with the date. Lovely: sure would like to tinker with that. I don’t want just a date, I want it to say (for example) “From the newsletter dated January 2, 2018” — and have the option to put that at the top, or bottom, of the content. To have it some other font, color, and/or alignment.

(I did review https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_post_date_output/ and can’t extrapolate from “Hey, let’s put a clock graphic here!” to “Here’s how to add a few words of text, and change the font face and color”.)

Hope that’s worthy of thinking about, and Thanks again!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Randy,

Really glad you’re enjoying GP so far!

We try to walk a fine line between having a lot of options and having too many options. When a theme begins adding too many options, things slow down, which would take away from what makes GP special.

That’s why we’re so active here in the forum. If you want to change the alignment, font size and colors of the post navigation, open up a topic and we’ll write some CSS for you.

Same goes for everything else, if there’s not an option for it, we’ll help you write CSS to achieve it. Just create separate topics for each area you’re wanting to tweak and we’ll help you achieve what you’re after.

Let me know if you need more info! ๐Ÿ™‚

Randy

OK, fair enough. Best part? When I see your answers, that will advance my CSS education a little bit.

Thanks for your quick reply, and I’ll start a couple of new threads.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Exactly! It also creates an archive of posts that end up being helpful to tons of other people ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.