[Resolved] Trying to use woo commerce with GeneratePress

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Trying to use woo commerce with GeneratePress

Home Forums Support Trying to use woo commerce with GeneratePress

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    brianna

Let me start off by saying I’m not tech savvy in any way. My site has the generatepress pro theme with elemector pro as the builder and i was using woo commerce for the ecommerce side of my site. So far GP pro has been great for navigation and color schemes. But I’m having a huge issue with editing my shop page. From what I’m seeing its looking as though I may have to change to a woo commerce theme as i truly have no idea how to customize the shop page. I’ve watched hours of videos and read countless documentation. So much talk of php and loops and still i have no idea whats going on. Please I’d love some insight as to get all this off the ground and have my store running quickly. Id prefer not to hire a developer i really want to do this myself I just don’t know if woo and GP are mixing well or i just don’t know how to go about it… Quick side note I just went to look and see which version of GP i had and noticed hooks and woo commerce weren’t activated. I’m going to see if this makes a difference but please let me know if GP should work easily with Woo or if i should try something else. Thank you Brianna of blackbutcher.com

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

WooCommerce customization features were added in the newest version of GP premium 1.3 and hasn’t made it into the documentation yet. Sorry about that!

First make sure you update GP premium and activate the WooCommerce addon:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/updating-gp-premium/
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/installing-gp-premium/#4- activate-your-add-ons

Then you can find the WooCommerce panel in the customizer. For example, what you are looking for should be in Layout > WooCommerce > Shop. There are also WooCommerce panel in the Colors and Typography section as well.

Check them out and let me know if you need more info 🙂

brianna

Thanks so much Leo! It’s coming together and after finding the woo commerce activate button and sections I’ve been able to make my pages match my elementor pages. Do you know if you have to use the pages generated by woocommerce or if you can use new pages?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Do you know if you have to use the pages generated by woocommerce or if you can use new pages?

Not sure what you mean? For which feature?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It’s best to use the pages that WC generates by default in my opinion.

Rachel

Hello! Maybe not the best place to post this buuuuut I don’t see the Woocommerce anywhere on my site. It’s not an option to “activate” from my wordpress.
    I followed this (from the shared link above):

Now that we have our license key copied, we can navigate to “Appearance > GeneratePress” in our Dashboards.

On the right side, you’ll see a box labeled “Updates”.

I don’t even have a box on the right side. Generatepress is updated to 1.3.23 as well. Am I missing something?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Rachel,

GP theme is now at 1.3.48. You can update it through the dashboard.

I would assume you are on an old version of GP premium. Might have to try manually updating first, then activate auto update in the future: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/updating-gp-premium/

Let me know if this helps.

Rachel

I don’t know anything about re-downloading the zip file (manual updating). Won’t I lose everything on my website? Also I did have an email address put in the box for auto updates. It gave me an error though:
    “Email activation failed. This email does not exist in our records.” It is the correct address, double checked.

And there is also no update available in the dashboard.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You won’t lose your settings, but you can use a plugin like this if you don’t want to delete the plugin: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/easy-theme-and-plugin-upgrades/

That will allow you to overwrite your current version.

Rachel

Just to clarify, you said settings, but will anything else be effected? All the pictures, blog articles, comments, etc. This will all be okay?

So very nervous doing it and am worried I will continue to have update problems since the auto update isn’t working for some reason.

Thank you both for helping me.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

All contents will be okay 🙂

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you’re worried, do a backup: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/

It’s good to do once in a while anyways 🙂

Rachel

Okay guys I did the backup using the plug-in shown above. Think I did anyway. Does it have to stay activated to keep the backup?

Also downloading the ‘easy theme and plug-in’ plug-in, but I see no where to update. The info on the plug-in’s page says this:

How do I upgrade a theme?
    Download the latest zip file for your theme.
    Go to Appearance > Themes.
    Click the “Add New” button at the top of the page.
    Click the “Upload Theme” button at the top of the page.
    Select the zip file with the new theme version to install.
    Click the “Install Now” button.

If I have to do these steps, what was the point in getting this plug-in? I could have done that from the beginning, right? I guess I’m not seeing the simple steps that I thought the plug-in would create?

I bet you’re so frustrated with my paranoia, so sorry guys!

Rachel

Well, I tried it anyway and got this:

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.

Theme install failed.

brianna

I don’t know if i’m allowed to do this but I’ve been getting notifications on this post and thought i’d reach out to Rachel. My site is blackbutcher.com a women’s clothing line. I’m new to all this website building myself and if you should have any questions I’m open. I’ve had a lot of trouble with woo commerce and am happy to say I’m on the other side of it now. So if you wanna pick my brain here’s my email brianna@blackbutcher.com. Hope your having good luck. Generatepress is awesome!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.