[Resolved] Trouble with customizing my page

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Trouble with customizing my page

Home Forums Support Trouble with customizing my page

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Tobias

Hey everyone,

so I have this problem with customizing my page when GP-Premium is activated. I have tried deactivating all my other plugins – it has nothing to do with that. I also narrowed the problem down to the features “Background” and “Copyright”. Whenever one of the two is activated, customizing wont work and i only get a white screen instead of the options. The other add ons like “Colors” work fine. However I had the same problem with different add ons before.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. ๐Ÿ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, that’s odd.

As a first guess, I would up your PHP memory limit: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/increasing-memory-limit/

Let me know if that works or not ๐Ÿ™‚

Tobias

I just checked that – the limit is set to 256MB and only 35MB are used right now so i don’t think that is the problem :S

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Guess #2 would be you have a conflicting plugin. Try #1 on this page: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/debugging/

If that doesn’t work, check your error_log file on your server for any hints.

Tobias

I’ve tried this on a page where the only plugin installed is GP Premium – the issue does still exist. :s

I can sometimes get “Backgrounds” to work by randomly activating/deactivating other features. However I can only customize my page once then. When I try to access “customize” again it shows me the white screen again. It’s just really odd.

I will try WP Debug and checking the error_log next. Let’s see if any of that works ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

White screen can mean a couple things:

1. Ran out of PHP memory. The fact that it works when you disable some add-ons/plugins points to this. Less things running = less memory usage. It might be worth upping the value even more just to test.

2. PHP error – this would be caused by another plugin and would show up in the error_log file.

Tobias

Okay so I turned on WP_Debug and got this error message: Strict Standards: Redefining already defined constructor for class wp_memory_usage in / ….. on line 39

When I saw this I thought maybe it is an issue with the php memory. So I checked the php memory again – it is set to 256mb but turns out WordPress was only able to use 40mb. I thought I finally found the problem, set the limit to 128mb using define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘128M’);

However the problem still occurs. I have no idea what to do at this point. :/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You may have to set it in your php.ini file. If you call your hosting they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Tobias

The memory is set to 128MB for WordPress – that’s unfortunately not the problem.

Could it have anything to do with the browser, cache or cookies?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It could do, but I’m still leaning towards PHP memory. The amount the page is reporting could be false, so that number might need increasing regardless of what the numbers are reporting.

The fact that turning on certain functionality fixes it points to PHP memory and not much else.

Tobias

I don’t have access to the php.ini file. However in .htaccess it says โ€žphp_value memory_limit 256Mโ€œ and in wp_config.php I set the limit to 256MB with โ€œdefine(โ€šWP_MEMORY_LIMITโ€˜, โ€š256Mโ€˜);โ€ – that didn’t fix it.

I also tried two different plugins, which show the available and used memory. They both showed me that the WP limit is set to what i set it.

So unfortunately I don’t think that php memory is the problem. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Would it help if i gave you some sort of guest access to the page so you could take a look at the problem yourself?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sure, you can send it through the contact form right here on this site ๐Ÿ™‚

Tobias

Sorry but where exactly can i find that contact formula? ๐Ÿ˜€

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sorry, here you go: https://generatepress.com/contact/

Looking into this a bit more, the error you received above, did it happen with this plugin installed?: WP-Memory-Usage

If so, that’s a super old plugin – I would deactivate it.

In your wp-config.php file, did you add the line looking exactly like you wrote it above?:

define(,WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', โ€š256M');

If so, it should look like this:

define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');

It’s possible that this isn’t working because the value in your php.ini file is overwriting these values.

If that’s the case, you’ll need to contact your server and ask them to up the limit.

Tobias

Yeah I deleted that plugin after I found a better one anyways.

Sorry i mistyped above. I checked the FTP and the code is right.

I sent you a message with the required data. I hope you can find whatever causes the problem ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.