[Support request] Trouble Updating Add-ons

Home Forums Support [Support request] Trouble Updating Add-ons

Home Forums Support Trouble Updating Add-ons

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    alw

Update Failed: Could not copy file. generate-backgrounds/functions/controls.php — and same for all add-ons

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Could not copy is usually a permissions error with the server.

It could also be that the file name length is too long – some servers limit the length of the request string for WP updates.

You should contact your hosting to see if they have any suggestions.

alw

“generate-backgrounds/functions/controls.php” is too long?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s just a part of the request string as the updater includes an encrypted string with the license key etc..

I’ve seen it on some hosts with permission issues and some hosts with a limit on that request string. It could be either one in this case as the error message is pretty vague.

Michael Harvey

Hello

I am unable to update any of the add-ons although updates of the Generate Press theme proceed normally. There is no “Update” box on the “Appearance > GeneratePress” page in this WordPress site so obviously it’s not possoble to enter the individual add-on keys.

I migrated this site to a client’s host from my own development site using Duplicator so I’, wondering if his has anything to do with it. The Update box shows on this site and updates proceed OK.

Any ideas of how I can update addons on my client’s site?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If there’s no place in “Appearance > GeneratePress”, you’ll want to manually update to the latest version: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/updating-add-ons/#manual-update

Once you’re using the latest version you’ll be able to add the license key.

Lyle

Just to add, I will always get this error when attempting to update any plugin that requires a licence and whose licence is active – not just GP Premium – on any of my local host installs (XAMPP, MAMP).

To verify, I added an older version of GP Premium (1.2.89) to a local XAMPP install on Win 10, activated the licence and then, via the Updates section, ran the updater. This is the result:

An error occurred while updating GP Premium: Could not copy file. gp-premium/disable-elements/languages/generate-disable-elements.mo

Not sure if this is the case here, but just thought I would let you know that this is my experience with local installs.

Cheers!
    Lyle

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Same issue, the string is too long.

Let me research exactly which server setting needs adjusting ๐Ÿ™‚

alw

Manual update works OK — but it’s such a pain to have to deactivate / delete / download new add-on / install / activate for all of the add-ons.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Well it looks like you’re using the Super Package, which was all of the individual add-ons (discontinued over a year ago).

With GP Premium it’s much easier, as it’s just 1 plugin.

That being said, manual updating sucks – luckily it is a server related issue that only happens to a small percentage of users.

Haven’t found the specific setting yet, but working on it.

alw

Thanks, Tom
    I know that you are extremely good at responding to comments and I will continue using GeneratePress and recommending it to others because of your excellent responses. 5 stars!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thank you! ๐Ÿ™‚

So I found some information on this, but it’s usually due to sites being on a Windows server.

What I’ve done is re-structure some of the folders in hope that the request URLs will be shorter.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.