[Resolved] This newbie can't figure out how to edit the Luxedo "child" theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] This newbie can't figure out how to edit the Luxedo "child" theme

Home Forums Support This newbie can't figure out how to edit the Luxedo "child" theme

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Charles

Today I got hosting going. Installed WordPress. Installed Elementor and Elementor Pro. Installed GeneratePress and its Pro package. And then within GeneratePress applied Luxedo (which perhaps is called a child theme, IDK) which brings with it auto install of a bunch of plugins and uses Elementor standard. Trouble is, I can’t find any way to edit the elements.

For example, the home page header uses a top left Luxedo logo. I found a place to swap it for my same-size logo, and published. But nothing happened on the page. The header BG is black in color. I want to make it a medium blue. Poked around a lot without finding a place to do so. (I have GP Premium active; any chance it shouldn’t be?)

I searched the Forum for Luxedo, and also searched Documentation. No results. That’s a bit of a surprise since I thought the man behind GeneratePress was behind Luxedo. If folks tell me to start with something without multiple tools involved, I will sigh twice and probably obey. πŸ˜‰

Chuck M

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Not sure where uploaded the logo but this make sure it’s the navigation logo:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/navigation-logo/

Header background should be Colors > Primary Navigation > Background.

Let me know if this helps.

Charles

Both documents you pointed me toward were easy to work with. I was able to accomplish both of the tasks I’d mentioned. Well enough for a 1st or rough prototype.

Then I went up-level in Documentation to see if I could find a general document that named the elements and where to edit them. I didn’t find that. For example, I had thought the top black band was a header to which the navigation had been added. So I had been trying to find the logo in a header section. Had looked for docs on doing that. But it’s really a navigation section that contains a logo. I didn’t think to look for that.

That suggests a pattern where I may not know what elements are called, so I won’t locate the right documentation and the places in the Dashboard that control them. And if I do come up with a name, there are so many “cooks at work in this child theme’s kitchen” (GP, GP Premium, Luxedo, Elementor, Elementor Pro, and a large cast of plugins) that I probably won’t know which chef was cooking that particular element.

It appears prudent that if I drop the child theme and start with pages that are blank, adding section by section, then I will know what elements I’ve used, and with the help of a note-taking pencil will know where to go to revise them.

And/or… if I follow along with one of the 3-hour videos on GeneratePress it’ll be a bit like using a GPS in the car. (Now if someone has done a how-to video on working with Luxedo, that would be sweet.)

I’m not reaching conclusions here, so early in. Just postulating, trying to be prudent, open to commentary.

Chuck M

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Chuck,

I definitely think each site could benefit from documentation specific to how it was built. I’ll talk with some of the designers to see if we can come up with something πŸ™‚

Charles

I like the clean, open feel of Luxedo. Feels like a keeper. So if GP developers talk to their child themes, please tell it that while I am leaving it for the “nonce,” I actively hope to be back. This is a 2-part project. A student final exam in my tech college course. And then mods to make it a new public website donated to the nonprofit agency, LEAVEN.

So I will switch for now to the best form of structured training I can find in GeneratePress. Earn the spurs of an Intermediate non-techie website maker. And then check back here. Your responses, Tom, were succinct and very helpful.

mor

Hi Charles,

I’m the designer behind Luxedo. I’m so happy you like it!

Please feel free to reach out to me at mor@flixframe.com and I do my very best to help you sort out everything.

Charles

Thanks for the offer. To be honest, I think what I would need is a map of say the home page. What each element is called and where to go to customize it.

As said above, I thought the black band at the top was a header, with added menu, and I found nowhere to change the logo and the BG color. Tom told me it wasn’t a header it was a navigation element, with added logo. He pointed me where to edit. Knowing made it easy.

Since I haven’t been able to identify or select any of the elements, it’s a big guessing game what they are and how & where they are modified.

Maybe I am too much the newbie to wade into all that.

OTOH, if my status being stopped dead in my tracks is cuz I am missing the basics, let me know, candidly. Thanks for touching base.

Chuck M

mor

No problem. Please touch base with me via email and I will walk you through the process.

Charles

Right this minute your email address is hiding from me. Mine is chuckmillerfox@gmail.com

Charles

Mor is being a big help. Kudos to her. I’d mark this as resolved, but there’s a chance that others may wish to chime in before it’s ended.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Great to hear! πŸ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.