[Resolved] Theme decision time

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Theme decision time

Home Forums Support Theme decision time

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Michael

Hi,
    I use GPP for a couple of very basic sites but have another site using the magazine theme from MH Themes. I think MH has been taken over as they put a delay on renewing the theme package for a few months although that option has just re-opened and I can now renew. However, I was hoping to switch the 3rd site to GPP and use the site-library but am told that it is not an option as the library is for new sites rather than something already populated with posts.

Hence, I am wondering if I can switch my site to GPP anyway and perhaps use the posts plugin from GeneratePress. I basically want either something that looks similar to the front page we already have or something where you can click on a category/menu item and get a list of relevant posts. The current site is at https://www.hampshirechess.co.uk/.

Do you think I would be able to move this site to GPP or would I be best advised to renew with MH Themes despite my concerns at recent changes there? Thanks for any advice, I’d like to get this sorted before we start the new season.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

we don’t advise installing a Library Site on a pre-built site. And you have the added complexity of changing over the Theme as well.

It is however possible – if you want to try converting the site then we would advise:

1. Test on a backup / staging version of the live site.
    2. Switch the theme over and see what breaks – the old theme may be using templates or CPTs that won’t exist in GP.
    3. Remove any Custom functions or custom stylesheets you have on the site.
    4. Install the Site from the Site Library. Flush caches.
    5. Now you will need to replace logos, menus, widgets etc that the GP Site would have replaced and remove any of the Content that the site installed that you don’t need.

Michael

Worth a try David. Would the GP Posts plugin be of any value to me here?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The WP Show Posts plugin is great for this kind of layout. The free version is used extensively on the Front Page of the Dispatch site in the Site Library.

Michael

Thanks David,
    I will take a look at WP Show Posts Pro, I’m not sure that there is anything in the Site Library suitable for our site just now but perhaps after more reading up on GPP amd the posts plugin we may be able to move that site across to GP. Hope so anyway.

Kind regards,
    Mickey

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to be of help. The Dispatch site is the closest thing to your site. If you were to use two right hand sidebars with the WP Show posts plugin you’re half way there. The other main content area will require some additional styling for the various columns but the same premise applies as used in dispatch.

Michael

Hi David,
    Thanks for your help, a good reason for me to get all sites under GPP if I can.
    Mickey

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.