Text boxes in sections?

Home Forums Support Text boxes in sections?

Home Forums Support Text boxes in sections?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Helen

Hi Tom
    Sorry if I am being dense but I have not found the answer to this question.
    I am trying to learn how to use sections. I want it just like your homepage with the textboxes.
    I have watched your video over and over. It seems you just type in the heading and paragraph text and then magically it becomes boxes!
    How does this magic happen?

ALSO I see you referring to shortcodes quite a bit. Are those shortcodes that come with GP? Or do we just use our own shortcodes from shortcodes ultimate or similar (if so perhaps you can recommend the best plugin?).

Cheers
    Helen

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Helen,

For columns, you can use this free plugin I developed: https://wordpress.org/plugins/lightweight-grid-columns

It’s pretty powerful, and easy to use πŸ™‚

GP doesn’t come with any shortcodes – we don’t want to lock anyone in using a bunch of theme shortcodes. If you change themes using theme shortcodes, your content turns into a bunch of mess.

That’s why we released the columns shortcode separately.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Helen

Thanks Tom – very thoughtful of you. I will try the plugin.

While i have you – Ive been looking at page headers. These seem powerful and useful, especially for a site like mine with several distinct sections. I have two questions:

1. Is there a way to re-use the page header content on multiple pages without having to re-write it each time? If not I think I will just do the header with images only.

2. Is there a way to have a page header on category/tag/archive pages, as well as single posts and pages? This would help users know which section they were in.

Cheers
    Helen

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. Copying and pasting is your best bet – should only take a second to paste the content into the new page and make adjustments.

2. You can do this using hooks – more specifically, the “After Header” hook in GP Hooks. You would have to use HTML and some PHP though – I can help point you in the right direction if you like?

Let me know πŸ™‚

Helen

1. Yes I guess all those check box values must turn into code somewhere! But where do I find it to copy? And then where do I post it to recreate and modify?

2. Yes ‘hooks’ keep coming up all the time! They sound mysterious but if some basics can be learned without TOOO much brain power I would really like to have these headers on category pages too – so any pointers would be appreciated.

3. In playing around I have come up with some other questions about page headers.

a? I thought I had seen somewhere a setting to have the page header above the second menu (or the second menu below the page header). But I can’t seem to find that option. Is it possible? Ideally I would like to have the site logo, then the page header (which I was to use as a section header), then the secondary menu (which I want to use as a section menu – I even found a plugin that lets me change the menu per page).

b) I guess to style the text of the page headers we have to use spans for the html? Or would it be better to do it with css? Can you point me to the class I should use to target just the page header text?

Thanks again!
    Helen

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. No way to copy those options at the moment, but it should only take a second to go through and set them – there aren’t too many options I hope πŸ™‚

2. You can use WordPress conditionals in the hooks to tell content to show up on certain pages. For example, if you want your page header to be displayed below your header on category pages, you would add something like this to your “After Header” hook in “GP Hooks”:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/is_category

<?php if ( is_category() ) : ?>
          <div class="page-header-content generate-page-header generate-content-header"><div class="inside-page-header-container inside-content-header grid-container grid-parent ">
          <header style="display:block;" class="entry-header">
                <h1 class="entry-title" itemprop="headline">Categories</h1>
          </header></div></div>
    <?php endif; ?>

For specific categories, you would do something like this using the category name:

<?php if ( is_category( 'Category Name' ) ) : ?>
          <div class="page-header-content generate-page-header generate-content-header"><div class="inside-page-header-container inside-content-header grid-container grid-parent ">
                <h1 class="entry-title" itemprop="headline">My category name</h1>
          </header></div></div>
    <?php endif; ?>

For archives, you would do:

<?php if ( is_archive() ) : ?>
                <h1 class="entry-title" itemprop="headline">My category name</h1>
          </header></div></div>
    <?php endif; ?>

3. a) This should help: http://generatepress.com/forums/topic/navigation-bar-below-featured-image/

b) That’s correct – you’ll have to use HTML, which you can use CSS with. If you have any specific questions on this let me know – happy to help out when it comes to HTML and CSS πŸ™‚ To target the page header area, you can use the .generate-page-header class.

You can also add your own classes in the above code examples, just separate them with spaces like the others (page-header-content generate-page-header etc…).

Helen

Thanks Tom (and commiserations on your update disaster – thanks for fixing it so quickly and efficiently. Lucky for me I got your email before the update so was spared any problems).

1. Doesn’t take long to do the settings for one post/pages but I have stacks! Also if I make any changes (which I will), I will have to go through every page. I’m still considering whether to just create images for the page headers. I would certainly prefer text based headers but I am fearful of the work involved in keeping them consistent! Perhaps if others would also find it useful you could consider an update one day that puts header text in files that can be attached to individual pages rather than re-created on each page?? If there is a way to do that!

2. Ok thanks heaps – I will try this when I get (1) set up and let you know how it works.

3. a) Ah yes – I knew I had seen something like that somewhere. I will try it soon. From Cassie’s experience I am confident it will work.

3. b) OK I am sure that class will work for me if I go down the text route for (1).

Thanks again!
    Helen

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks, Helen πŸ™‚

1. I’ll see if there’s anything I can do, but it may be pretty difficult to be able to copy and paste settings from one page to another – how many pages are you doing? Are they all different page headers? If so, what about them is different?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.