[Resolved] Terrible Google Page Insights score and how to improve it

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Terrible Google Page Insights score and how to improve it

Home Forums Support Terrible Google Page Insights score and how to improve it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ryan

I have Kinsta hosting near my users. Its a brand new site and I am new to GP. I am also using WP Rocket. And GP has a good reputation as a light theme. So, I was hoping it wouldn’t be so difficult. My page speed score for Pingdom is almost excellent following WP Rocket. However, my score for Google Page Insights is terrible, especially for mobile.

I get 85/100 for Desktop site, and just 37/100 for the mobile site.

So, my first question is to GP experts, is there anything I could do to improve the mobile site – apart from AMP?

And do you guys recommend installing AMP on GP theme?

I have never seen a difference in speed after enabling AMP, even when using an AMP enabled theme for another site. So, I am not sure.

Advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Oh, Although its early days, I am happy I purchased Generate Press. I wish I had done it sooner.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Any chance you can share your URL so we can take a look?

AMP can be helpful, but it’s not always necessary. Worth taking a look first.

Let us know πŸ™‚

Ryan

Hi Tom, Thanks for looking at this. Here is the URL:
    https://www.gcsecoach.com

I am using the Elementor based GP theme Digital Creative.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Loading the entire Font Awesome library definitely isn’t helping your performance – finding a way around doing that is likely the first thing you should do.

Other than that, you may need to look at your hosting performance – who are you using at the moment?

Ryan

Hi Tom, I have following instruction on this page https://docs.elementor.com/article/286-speed-up-a-slow-site and pasted the suggested code on the functions.php file to stop font-awesome from autoloading. Did I do the right thing?

I am using Kinsta. I have been with them for about 3-4 years now I think. It’s always been reliable for me.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

https://docs.elementor.com/article/286-speed-up-a-slow-site and pasted the suggested code on the functions.php file to stop font-awesome from autoloading. Did I do the right thing?

I’ve inspected your sites DOM structure and didn’t find anything from fontawesome. That means you probably did it right.

I’ve went ahead and re-checked its Google PageSpeed Insight result:
    https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gcsecoach.com%2F&tab=desktop

Basing from your posted result. The score improved by a whole 6 points on both desktop and mobile. πŸ™‚

As for further improvement, this’ll require further customization. Cleaning CSS for anything redundant helps. You may also want to consider removing more things if possible as DOM size is being flagged too.

Also, one of the biggest issues mentioned was “initial server response time”. This is about hosting performance as Tom hinted.

While Kinsta may be stable/reliable, it may not be the fastest if you want better scores. πŸ˜€

Note: This may also be related to the current hosting plan/subscription you are using. If they offer premium servers, you may want to consider availing them for better scores.

Ryan

Hi Elvin,

I noticed the improvement in the score as well. However, on the mobile score, it is still in the red area. Changing hosting is out of questions. I have changed hosting from Site GroI have on their $100 ($120 with tax) plan a month, which is very expensive for brand new site with next to no traffic yet.

The main thing I could see, that you mentioned, is cleaning/optimising the CSS and the DOM size. Based on what I have read, it may be best to pay an expert to clean up the CSS and DOM size for speed. As I am already using WP rocket which did improve things, there doesn’t seem to be any good plugins that I can see to reduce DOM size and CSS for wp. Unless you can recommend something to use alongside wp rocket.

One other thing. Most of the images I am using is SVG code, or svg images. Do you feel this could cause any issues? I have always believed svg’s are smaller in size and display better so it shouldn’t cause speed issues!

Thank you.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

yes SVG images are generally a lot smaller files then a jpeg/png.
    Adding the inline ( as code ) also removes the file request.

In regards to DOM size and related CSS.
    This will be down to the content you add – unfortunately page builders do add a LOT more elements to the DOM which comes with a lot more CSS.

The general rule here is to look ay what you can remove/reduce on your pages to reduce those sizes

Ryan

Hi David, Thanks. I believe you are right. In the end, I had to go with a page builder. However, you are right regarding the extra weight from elementor. I think my best option is to wait a month or so when the site is settled and then pay for someone to clean up the CSS.

I’ll close the support request for now.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problems. Hope it goes well!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.