[Support request] System Stack Question

Home Forums Support System Stack Question

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 months ago by Tom.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sonja

I am thinking to switch to system stack instead of local fonts, that i have right now.

In the booking, com post (https://booking.design/implementing-system-fonts-on-booking-com-a-lesson-learned-bdc984df627f) about their switch to system fonts, the write:

don’t use -apple-system at the head of a shorthand font declaration

What does generatepress use, when switch to system stack? I think it is also -apple-system. So does that mean, that i get the same problems like booking.con if switch to system stacks?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

that issue only occurs if the shorthand CSS is used ie. font:
    GP declares the font family using the full property ie. font-family:.
    Which to the very best of my knowledge does not effect IE ( or Edge )

Sonja

OK, thanks. Now I have a child theme with the local fonts. Also because i have fontawesome from the shortcode ultimate plugin local.

Is it right, to just switch in the customizer to system stack? Or do i also have to switch from child theme to normal GPP?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can just switch it over to System Stack in the Customizer with your Child Theme enabled.

Sonja

ok, thanks.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Sonja

I have another question regarding this topic:

If System Stack is so good and fast, why it is not more used by websites.

I have some concerns to use it, because i am afraid, that on some peoples devices, the website looks in some way ugly. And i can not control how it looks on other devices.

So what is you opinion about this. Should we use it on all our sites, or not? Are there any problems we can exppect? Or is it absolutely safe to use?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The system font on most modern devices is just fine, it won’t look super ugly.

However, if you want consistency and a certain style, you’re better off going with a set local font so you know everyone is getting the same style.

A good local font really shouldn’t hurt your site speed badly, but it will always be slower than a system font, as the browser has to download something vs use something that’s already there.

Shrawan

Hi, I have a follow-up question here – is there an issue with legality when using System Stack Font Family? I mean, given we don’t specify which exact font is to be used (like calling Google Fonts), would there be a problem given the user’s system, depending on the operating system or browser displays the font of its choice (which we have no control over) and some fonts don’t offer licenses for use on web? Just wish to get your thoughts on this before activating it.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m not an expert on these things, but I don’t think it’s an issue as you’re not actually embedding or uploading anything to your website. If you were to host these fonts, it may be an issue, but in this case, you’re simply telling the website to use the font that’s already located on the user’s computer. You’re not redistributing anything.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.