[Resolved] Syncing settings

Home Forums Support Syncing settings

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike

Hi – apologies if this is obvious, have only just started using GP but couldn’t find an answer…

So – I see there’s a way of exporting and importing settings.

We’re looking at using GP in a multisite environment – so my question is, is there any way of these settings being in place by default when a new site is launched?

I guess the analogous example would be the way Advanced Custom Fields has an acf-sync folder which contains options that the plugin looks at – means we can not only set defaults but also push these into source control.

Thanks!

Mike

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Mike,

All of our defaults are filterable, so you can create a network-active plugin which adds your defaults to new sites.

This file has a lot of the defaults: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/2.3.2/inc/defaults.php

So for example, if we wanted to target generate_option_defaults, we could do this:

add_filter( 'generate_option_defaults', function( $defaults ) {
        $defaults['container_width'] = '1500';
        $defaults['layout_setting'] = 'left-sidebar';

return $defaults;
    } );

Unfortunately, we haven’t documented all of the available for each option as of right now. I’ll see if we can get that done ASAP.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Mike

Thanks Tom, useful.

So is it a case of setting up a site, exporting the settings and then manually writing the filters into a plugin? Or is there a way of going from the export file to code in some way?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Right now it’s a manual process, which sucks. I’ve made a note to play with a method to do it automatically, as that would be awesome.

Mike

Thanks Tom, much appreciate your quick and candid answers 🙂

The way that ACF does it is really cool – you may want to take a look there for reference:

https://www.advancedcustomfields.com/resources/synchronized-json/

In particular what we like about it is being able to bring ACF settings into source control – but it also means that in scenarios like the multisite one I outline above you can easily edit / set defaults.

cheers

Mike

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome, thanks for sharing that! Super useful 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.