[Resolved] Sudden speed increase

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Sudden speed increase

Home Forums Support Sudden speed increase

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jessica

Hi! I installed GP two weeks ago on February 1, and I was super-pleased with how my site tested. GTMetrix speed index of 0.6s, 419ms FCP, 0.9s LCP.

Since then, I’ve changed nothing except to publish one post.

BUT my speed scores have suddenly doubled to quadrupled.

Speed index has more than doubled, LCP went from 0.9s to up to 1.8s, and time to interactive went from 0.6s to 1.9s.

PageSpeed Insights mobile scores were OK, but are now awful: First Contentful Paint, 3.3 s; Speed Index 9.4 s; Largest Contentful Paint 14.3 s.

Where should I go for help? I switched to GP for speed reasons, and now it’s really not much of a difference than my previous free theme.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

You have plenty of errors on your site with are non theme related. See here:

I’ve also checked your site and here are some suggestions:

For the “Ensure text remains visible during webfont load” flag, try adding this PHP snippet :
    add_filter( ‘generate_google_font_display’, function() {
    return ‘swap’;
    } );

For the “Replace unnecessarily large JavaScript libraries”:
    If it’s possible to replace this. Please do it. You can also try minifying all the JS libraries using caching and optimization plugin.(I see you’re using autoptimize)

For the “Serve static assets with an efficient cache policy “:
    Get an optimization plugin for this.
    https://wordpress.org/support/article/optimization/#browser-caching

For the “Defer offscreen images”:
    This is normally addressed by optimizing and lazyloading your images.

For the “Serve images in next-gen formats”:
    Reupload your images that are getting flagged into better formats. Make sure you optimize them as well. Consider using Smush, Optimole or any image optimization plugin.

For the “Eliminate render-blocking resources”:
    See my reply here –
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/first-contentful-paint-help/#post-1653763

Jessica

Thank you so much for the extremely detailed response and analysis.

No chance I can pay someone at Generate Press to further investigate & professionally optimize again — or you would recommend Codeable for posting such jobs?

The large Javascript library is a new error that I’d never seen prior to switching to GP. Literally no idea about that, beyond optimization plugins.

You’re of course correct, I’m using Autoptimize already. As well as Smush Pro already to smush all images. (Though I haven’t converted any images from .jpeg to .webp; I’m sure that’s worth doing at some point.) And I have caching through Flywheel, but I’ll check out the plugin; and I’ve turned on a lazyloading plugin but that doesn’t do much.

The GTMetrix results are quite good still, it’s only that I’m worried about SEO penalties in future for the red scores in PageSpeed Insights lab data.

Thanks again!!!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

No chance I can pay someone at Generate Press to further investigate & professionally optimize again — or you would recommend Codeable for posting such jobs?

GeneratePress doesn’t offer this kind of service, unfortunately.

I can’t really say anything w/ Codeable, as like any other freelance platforms, the experience is a hit-or-miss kind of thing. All I can say is check people’s portfolio and rating so you’ll have an idea of how skilled the person you’re hiring is.

The large Javascript library is a new error that I’d never seen prior to switching to GP. Literally no idea about that, beyond optimization plugins.

It’s the WordPress core libraries that are being called by something. Perhaps a plugin that has a dependency on them. GeneratePress doesn’t call these libraries by default.

Jessica

Elvin’s comment about a plugin calling core libraries really helped me. I decided to turn off plugins one by one.

I noticed an “Infobox” plugin that I’d never used, and didn’t install or activate myself, so I tried it first.

Deactivating Infobox (then clearing my cache) halfed my LCP time measured on GTMetrix, while my PageSpeed Insights mobile score shot up from 25 to 69, instantly.

BAD plugin.

Thank you!

Also about to start converting to next-gen images via SmushPro, to further fine-tune.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Nice one! glad you found the culprit plugin. No problem.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.