[Resolved] Struggling with fonts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Struggling with fonts

Home Forums Support Struggling with fonts

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leon Rowan

Hello,

I have GP Premium with Typography enabled. My site is set in Customizer to Open Sans.

The problem is that I can’t see Open Sans in the font chooser drop down for posts, pages or rich text widget unless I use the Google Fonts Typography plugin.

I have looked at Customizing the Google Font List – Documentation
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/customizing-the-google-font-list/ and tried inserting the CSS* in both Simple CSS editor in Customizer and then, when that didn’t work, in the Snippets plugin.

*add_filter( ‘generate_number_of_fonts’,’tu_show_all_available_google_fonts’ );
    function tu_show_all_available_google_fonts() {
    return ‘all’;
    }

That page also says ” By default, the top 200 fonts are displayed.” I only see around 12!

Something doesn’t seem right.

Any clues please? Thank you.

PS: I know I can simply use the plugin however the ideal of course is to have as few plugins running as possible, and GP supposedly has 200 fonts available. Open Sans is clearly one of them.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

The problem is that I can’t see Open Sans in the font chooser drop down for posts, pages or rich text widget

The default WP editor whether it be classic or the block editor doesn’t have Font selection – so which plugins are you using to do that?

Also what is the specific need to select Open Sans in the editor when the font is already set in the customizer?

Let me know

Leon Rowan

Hello David,

Thanks for helping me. You are clearly extremely knowledgeable – I had no idea “The default WP editor whether it be classic or the block editor doesn’t have Font selection” and that a plugin would be doing it – I expect that is TinyMCE Advanced. (I use the Classic Editor plugin to get rid of Gutenberg).

The specific need was that I used WP Editor Widget plugin (richer than the standard text widget) to edit the text in the text widget in the Header box – the drop down in there (WP E W) did not show Open Sans – so the text font in my header area did not match the rest of the site. I discovered that even with the Google Fonts Typography plugin disabled, the widget still shows the font as Open Sans (Used WhatFont Chrome extension in Brave browser) – thus I can simply install the (GFT) plugin if ever I need it again.

So; my lack of knowledge and ignorance contributed to my thinking something was wrong with the fonts in my website. Thanks to your help David I can now see this is not the case. I’ve used WordPress for over 10 years and had no idea the default editor did not have font selection as standard. For as long as I can remember I have used an editor plugin – so seeing a font drop down seemed normal.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The WP ecosphere is so vast its a never ending learning experience. Glad to have pointed you in the right direction.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.