[Resolved] Structured Data Errors Showing in Google Search Console (Webmaster Tools)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Structured Data Errors Showing in Google Search Console (Webmaster Tools)

Home Forums Support Structured Data Errors Showing in Google Search Console (Webmaster Tools)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Edin

I’ve noticed some errors in the rich snippet tool from Google:

Missing: author
    Missing: updated

I fear that this has negative implications on ranking in the search engines.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

It shouldn’t have any negative impact, but it helps having those elements.

Is there a specific page you’re testing for this I can check out?

Edin

Hi Tom,

The Google Search Console says that the error is on every page of the site (I’ve entered the URL when starting this topic).

Thanks,
    Edin

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It looks like you’ve removed the author and date, which is what those errors are complaining about.

It won’t hurt your rankings, but Google is looking for those elements, and they don’t exist.

Edin

I haven’t removed them consciously… where should they be, and how do I add them back in?

Edin

When you look at the pages you see that the author is displayed right below the post title… that’s weird.

Edin

Okay, I think I found a fix. According to Yoast, I should change:

<span class="author_name"><?php the_author(); ?></span>

to

<span class="vcard author author_name"><span class="fn"><?php the_author(); ?></span></span>

Problem is, I have this in “After Entry Title”:

<a class="author-name" href="<?php echo get_author_posts_url( get_the_author_meta( 'ID' ), get_the_author_meta( 'user_nicename' ) ); ?>"><?php the_author(); ?></a>

What would be the corresponding change here?

Thank you so much for your help so far!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So you’ve added that code inside GP Hooks instead of using the core author display?

You should be able to add the markup like this:

<span class="vcard author author_name"><a class="author-name" href="<?php echo get_author_posts_url( get_the_author_meta( 'ID' ), get_the_author_meta( 'user_nicename' ) ); ?>"><span class="fn"><?php the_author(); ?></span></a></span>

Edin

Thank you so much Tom, that worked beautifully!

I’ve also tried to add the “update time”, can you please tell if this is correct?

<span class="date updated published"><time datetime="<?php the_modified_time('Y-m-d'); ?>"><?php the_modified_time('F jS, Y'); ?></time></span>

Thanks again,
    Edin

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’d have to do this:

<span class="date updated published"><time datetime="<?php the_modified_time('Y-m-d'); ?>" itemprop="dateModified"><?php the_modified_time('F jS, Y'); ?></time></span>

Edin

Awesome Tom! That worked as well.

I want to thank you for all your help so far. The support and willingness to help out is really amazing, on top of that great product that you offer.

Thanks again!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re very welcome! 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.