[Resolved] Stolen content

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Stolen content

Home Forums Support Stolen content

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Philippe

Hi,

I am looking for a way to regularly check if any of my written content has been reproduced somewhere without my consent. I read this:

Pingbacks: Depending on your content management system, you may have the ability to be notified whenever a site links back to a post. If someone straight up copies your content and pastes it on his or her site, this is a really easy way to be notified — no analytics necessary. (https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/internet-content-theft)

Do I have to understand that if another website copy/paste my content I can be alerted through pingbacks? Sounds to good to be true.

Thanks for your reply,

Philippe

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the way it works is:

1. I write a post and i enable pingbakcs.
    2. My friend posts a link to that post on his site.
    3. I get a Pingback

So if:

1. I add that same post link in the content of another post.
    2. Someone copies my content including that link and posts it to their site.
    3. I get a pingback.

So content must contain links to posts on your site to get pingbacks for them.
    If the person copying the content removes those links, then no you won’t get a pingback.

Philippe

I see. The secondary question is: Is allowing pingbacks at all useful for SEO?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yes, Pingbacks ( and Trackbacks ) can be a valuable asset to your sites SEO, as it can increase the traffic to your site, and if the referrer site is an authority site then even better, that really pumps up those links. But i confess i am no SEO expert 🙂

Philippe

Ok, thanks a lot. I will check it out.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.