[Resolved] Status Update – best way to go about?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Status Update – best way to go about?

Home Forums Support Status Update – best way to go about?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Miroslav

Hi,

(I’m often adding new material to already published posts or working on a public draft, therefore…) I would like to have a section on my home page that would inform visitors of any recent changes/updates.

Ideally, the section would list the last 5-10 changes made to the site, chronologically. Also, I want to display these updates separately, OUTSIDE of the main post loop.

Here are 3 possible ways I’m considering and I’m hoping to get some guidance from you on which would be the best (or, if there is an option I haven’t considered):

Option 1: Sticky Post
    The idea is to create one post that would contain all the updates (changelog) on one URL and then Stick it to the front page.
    Pros: easy to implement.
    Cons: hard to control how much text actually shows on the front page and impossible to socially promote individual updates just by sharing the post.

Option 2: Post format: Status Update
    The idea is to use the dedicated post format.
    Pros: easy to implement, easy to share on social networks (?)
    Cons: don’t know how to remove the status updates from the main loop and how to pull them together (the WP Show Posts plugin doesn’t seem to allow filtering out by post format).

Option 3: Text Widget
    The idea is to type the udpates inside a Text widget.
    Pros: Easy to implement and easy control the content
    Cons: Needs a new widget area (above the posts) and no history log of updates.

What are your thoughts? Thanks! πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Honestly, I think it’s probably just up to which method is easier for you. I can’t really think of an automated way to do it, so you may just need to weigh the pros and cons and choose the best one.

Miroslav

Thanks, Tom! Which approach would you pick if you were in my shoes?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I would probably go the text widget route.

Miroslav

Thank you, Tom! πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.