[Resolved] Speed problems in mobile

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Speed problems in mobile

Home Forums Support Speed problems in mobile

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Esa

Hi!

I changed from my previous theme to GeneratePress as GeneratePress was everywhere mentioned as one of the fastest themes in WordPress. Eeverything went smoothly and especially in PC the results are impressive (Google’s PageSpeed insights give it 93/100 score and from usability point of view it also works well. However, the story is very different in mobile. If I access the website on mobile, it’s visibly slower (Google says 10 seconds, but from my mobile it’s about 3-4 seconds, which is still way too slow). Also Google gives the mobile view a ranking of only 36/100, which is quite bad.

I’m running pretty basic plug-ings (From WP Optimize to WP Super Cache) and in the previous theme I had (Sparkling), the mobile version was much faster. So, I was wondering, what could be the reason, why the mobile on GeneratePress is so much slower than on PC. What Google PageSpeed tells me are the following biggest problems.

First Contentful Paint (3G) 4454 ms
    First Contentful Paint 3G marks the time at which the first text or image is painted while on a 3G network.

Shorten the server response time at the beginning 0.75 s

Minimize the workload of the main thread by 6.3 s
    We recommend that you reduce the time it takes to parse, compile, and run JS. Distributing smaller JS resources can help. Read moreTBT
    Class
    Used time
    Script Evaluation
    4 118 ms
    Other
    973 ms
    Style & Layout
    497 ms
    Script Parsing & Compilation
    304 ms
    Parse HTML & CSS
    204 ms
    Garbage Collection
    146 ms
    Rendering
    104 ms

In addition, Would you recommend using AMP pages with GeneratePress as I think that maybe would help the page work faster on mobile? Also I noticed that my database is still mostly MyISAM. Would you recommend converting the database on GeneratePress themed blog for InnoDB?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’ve checked the site and for starters, consider using an optimization plugin as well.

Having at least caching on should increase the pagespeed insight score significantly. Having the “merge CSS” and “Merge JS” should improve further depending on how it’s set up as this can reduce the number of requests your site makes. (currently it has 156 requests and that’s a lot)

As for databases: I suggest focusing on what can be done w/ asset loading first (from optimization plugins). And then consider changing to a faster, dedicated host for your site if the “Reduce initial server response time” is still too high.

Esa

Thanks Elvin! I did some editing (removed AdSense and tried the plugins mentioned here): https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/google-speed-test/#post-122818

Now the stats are PC 96/100 and mobile 76/100. Big improvement, but I would still like to get the mobile up to preferably 90. Any ideas as now I’m running Autoptimize plugin and WP Fastest Cache plug-in. In the thread I mentioned they were talking about “Default settings”, so I was wondering what these are (or are these just the ones that are active, when you active the plug-in).

Any suggestions, which options I should put online from these two plug-ins to tackle the remaining problems, which seem to be mostly on CSS, JS and First Contentful Paint (to be honest I have no idea, what the last one means). Thanks a lot!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m not exactly sure about WPFC but here’s a recommendation for Autoptimize. (which you probably have set already)
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/configuring-autoptimize/

As for optimization in general,

To simplify the settings people should set, it’s usually the following:

– Minify CSS
    – merge CSS
    – Exclude CSS from merge (If the merged CSS file is getting to big. While merging CSS reduces requests, if it’s too big to load, it’ll cause CLS.)
    – Minify HTML
    – Minify JS
    – merge JS
    – Exclude JS from merge (if merging JS breaks some functionality, you’ll have to exclude the script that breaks)
    – Compress images
    – Use CDNs like Cloudflare
    – Use Critical CSS (only if you know how to add which CSS, else, it will cause CLS)

As for how to do this on a specific optimization plugin, it’s best to refer to the plugin’s documentation. ๐Ÿ˜€

Esa

Thanks a lot Elvin! I think that helped quite a bit! Also, I think it wouldbe good if GeneratePress also had suggestions like these template site: https://docs.goodlayers.com/making-your-site-faster-with-wp-fastest-cache-and-autoptimize/ I tried the same settings and they seemed work well for me!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

The documentation I’ve linked does that a bit but to be honest, I think this is best left to the documentation of the plugin as optimization plugins are third-party plugins beyond our scope it’s not part of GP’s product and they have their own support/documentation.

We try our best to help out but the specific settings is best left to the plugin’s people.

Else, we may end up being the “support” for this products which may move the focus away from the product itself. (It may also give a sense of unfairness if we only do it hand-picked plugins, hence we just provided a common setting that all optimization plugins have using Autoptimize as an example.)

Glad you found something that works for you. Thanks for letting us know. ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.