[Support request] Slash as a Menu Separator

Home Forums Support [Support request] Slash as a Menu Separator

Home Forums Support Slash as a Menu Separator

• This topic has 13 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kle

Hi,

Right now I have a / slash as a menu separator on my site that I made as a menu item pointing at nothing, looks good but it appears on the mobile menu as a menu item as well and since it’s not pointing at anything I don’t want it to be there. I looked around the forum but couldn’t figure it out a way to have it (/) as a separator in between two specific menu items (Home / Contact).

If you GP team could provide me with the necessary CSS to do this would be great.

Thank you.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Your site is showing up all weird to me currently: http://www.screencast.com/t/ufdJQmlt1

Looks like something is blocking all the CSS.

Can you try disable the caching plugin first?

Kle

That’s odd, it shows fine on my end. I will investigate and get back, thank you.

Kle

Can you give it a try now Leo. I think it was a cache issue. Deleted it. Now you can see the menu dash I’m talking about. Thank you:)

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hmm if you want to use your method, then you can add the hide-on-mobile class to those separator:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/responsive-display/#using-our-hide-on-classes

Or you can try the CSS method:

@media (min-width:769px) {
        .main-navigation .main-nav ul li a:after {
            content: "/";
            padding-right: 15px;
        }
    }
    Kle

Thank you Leo,

I would prefer the CSS method so it doesn’t gets highlighted when hovering, the code you gave doesn’t work for me as I need the / only in between the Home and Contact menu items, and the code shows it everywehere in the menu and right besides the letters not in between. How can I fix that? Thanks.

Kle

Or is there a way to add a custom class to the menu so it doesn’t show as a hovering link? That would do it too. Thank you Leo.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Give this a shot:

.main-navigation:not(.toggled) .menu > li:first-child a:after {
        padding-left: 20px;
    }
    Kle

Hi Tom,

Thank you, but with this code the / becomes a part of the HOME / menu link and not an “inactive” separator in between menu items. Not sure if what I’m asking is too complicated, if so is there a way to make a menu item inactive? or not to hover with css? because I can just leave the / I have in my menu right now pointing at nothing if I just manage to make it not to hover.

Thank you.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, maybe try this instead:

.main-navigation:not(.toggled) .menu > li:nth-child(1) {
        position: relative;
        margin-right: 10px;
    }

.main-navigation:not(.toggled) .menu > li:nth-child(2) {
        margin-left: 10px;
    }

.main-navigation:not(.toggled) .menu > li:first-child:after {
        position: absolute;
        top: 18px;
        right: -13px;
        font-size: 15px;
    }
    Kle

Perfect! Exactly what I was looking for, Thank you Tom!!!

Kle

Oh, I encountered a “problem” when scrolling down, in sticky mode, the / goes out of position, it goes further down than the rest of the menu.

Kle

Tom, I figured it out a way to do it with a plugin and some css. I appreciate the support regardless, Thank you! : )

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad you got it working. You’re welcome 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.