[Resolved] Site structure using GP Premium

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Site structure using GP Premium

Home Forums Support Site structure using GP Premium

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Thomas

Hi all,

It has been a long time since I made websites with WP (or any sites for that matter). I purchased GeneratePress Premium after a lot of research on premium themes/plugins as I can use it across multiple websites – kudos to the developers, it’s great.

Now I need some advice/pointers on how to structure my site in combination with using GeneratePress — I’ve been trying to figure it out but I thought I’d ask the experts in case there’s a better way to do it with GP.

In short, my site will have hundreds of unique city pages/categories (ie mysite.com/london) which I need to be a custom page (able to put some content on it). I also need it to list every post attributed to that specific location.

I tried to do it with categories but it seems you can’t add content easily and if doing an individual page for the location I’m unsure of how exactly that’d work with displaying every post for that location…

Sorry if this is stupidly simple or not best asked here, I just thought I’d ask smarter people than myself before wasting hours trying to figure it out.

Thomas

I guess I should be more specific. So when you go to a location (mysite.com/location) it would have custom text/images on that page, and below that content it would list each post that is attributed to that location (using categories?) – however it would need to list each post with the title, perhaps some custom text for each post or an excerpt of the post, and then paginate (so only showing 10 at a time with a next button).

I’ve kind of figured it out by doing a custom page with the location slug, and also the category page with the same slug, then just listing the posts for that category on the page (but it only shows the post titles with bullet points).

Just looked and it might work with elements using custom code. I’m not bad with PHP, HTML and CSS so I can figure out the coding part, just trying to understand in my mind how the best way of going about it would be – if anybody can plant that seed and I’ll do the leg work!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the Hook Element would be a good option, it would allow you to insert content above ( or below ) the post loop on the theme archive template.

Question is how do you intend to add the custom content to each category ?

Thomas

Hi David, thanks for the reply.

Looking at the hooks/elements, that could work. My thoughts so far are to have an individual page for each location – using “location” as the slug (mysite.com/location) so I can add content to that page easily. Then, add a custom element to each location that has custom PHP that would display the posts assigned to that location. They would be assigned to the location using the categories. If that makes sense.

Might be a bit long-winded but all I can think of for now. Need to spend some time digging to find out the best way of display each post with custom code… cheers.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

If the static page provides what you need then you may want to look at the WP Show Posts plugin ( another one Tom’s ) for adding the post loop:

https://wpshowposts.com

Thomas

That plugin looks perfect – the only issue is I can’t seem to find how to only display posts that are in a specific category.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

This might help:
    https://docs.wpshowposts.com/article/posts-overview/#taxonomy

For more questions related to WPSP, please open a support topic in its own technical support forum.

Thanks!

Thomas

Geez, I’m stupid, literally just found it as you posted… sorry folks! Thanks so much for your help!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.