[Resolved] Site Icons

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Site Icons

Home Forums Support Site Icons

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Simon

The site icons… umm what are those for?

Like whats the difference between them and just having a favicon.ico file in the root?
    I see that generatepress is loading two of them:

Site Icons

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

The Site Icon option is a core WordPress option (Customize > Site Identity). It adds a favicon to your site.

Usually, I choose to upload the favicon.ico file directly to my root folder of the site. That way you don’t need to upload anything in the Customizer for it.

GeneratePress itself doesn’t add a favicon/site icon request.

Let me know if you need more info ๐Ÿ™‚

Simon

Thanks Tommo!

Didn’t realize that this was part of the WP core.

After WAY too much research, it seems WP is doing a pretty bad job of helping us make site icons for the majority of browsers.

For those who are interested. This tool is pretty awesome. Just disable site links in wordpress and use this instead. Much more efficient and supports more browsers. From the 3-4 large sites i checked, they all do it this way.
    https://realfavicongenerator.net/

I also used GIMP to create a compressed favicon.ico file. From this guide, to replace the favicon.ico it generated (saved 13kb). Even though its only used by IE.
    https://forum.getkirby.com/t/how-to-make-a-proper-compressed-favicon-ico/2725

Sebastien

Hi Simon,
    I’m also working into favicon but my tests with realfavicongenerator was that it adds several requests during the loading. Did you notice the same thing? Do you use the plugin or the manual way? If the manual , do you add any code into WP ?

Simon

Hey Sebastien,

I just added the code provided by realicongenerator to the page head using a generatepress element with the wp_head hook. The same way you may have added google analytics…

I checked Chrome manually and used GTmetrix to check whats loading. In chrome its loading a smaller icon than the WP one (32×32) and a small file named “site.webmanifest”. In GTmetrix it only loads the 32×32 png icon.

In every case it is deferred to the very end.

Sebastien

thanks for that Simon !
    have fun with GP ๐Ÿ˜€

Simon

No probs Sab. You too.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.