[Support request] Sider

Home Forums Support [Support request] Sider

Home Forums Support Sider

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Paul

I am using GP for the first time. I want to use the Sider layout for a specific purpose as a sort of control panel for topical reading with navigation on the left and allowing the user to click through a lot of links both internal and external, but maintain the left Sider menu so they can quickly and easily navigate back to the category root. I’ve done this in Joomla using integrated Wrapper but I don’t want to use Joomla! Is there a way to accomplish this?

TIA – Paul

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

do you have an example site or screenshot of what it would look like?

Paul

Hi David, I’m trying to recreate something that I did about 20 years ago in html/frames then later did in early Joomla with the wrapper (iframe)… I don’t have an example but I want it to look the way Sider looks by default. From the desktop view, I want the “sider” menu on the left just as it. The purpose of this is for the end user to be able to quickly go back and forth through some linked articles without leaving the interface. The menu will link to pages on the site that have articles in that
    So if I had a menu of categories on the left like this image and I clicked on Category 1:
    Default Categories Page
    I get those links then clicked one of the links and come up with a fancy article like this one:
    Cool, awesome article the end user clicked through to

Paul

I included image links in there for example but they are not displaying here. Do you see them?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Image links – when using a sharing site or cloud share just provide us the link, don’t add them as an image – but its fine i just opened the link instead.

So effectively its just the Sider site, with a Category menu for the navigation – each one linking to relevant archive. Not sure if theres anything i am missing but it should be as simple as importing sider, creating the category menu for your archives.

Paul

the sticking point is external links like the one in the second picture.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

So the category archives will only be external links and you need them to open within the existing site container ? – sounds complicated lol – would need some sort of Ajax call with an iFrame embed for the link to be displayed.

Paul

It’s a mix of internal and external links.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The simplest solution that i can think of would be to create a new post for each external link and embed the external site in an iframe.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.