[Support request] Sidebar Hooks?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Sidebar Hooks?

Home Forums Support Sidebar Hooks?

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Sumit

Hi I have this fluctuation issue on a website I am working. Please try to navigate to different pages from top navigation bar and you will notice how the top navigation gets deformed and form again during the page load.

My developer is saying that is happening due to the sidebar. Sidebar is being created with sections and he says I need a plugin like advanced custom field to make this work smooth.

I am sure there must be a way for me to resolve it without involving another plugin.

I was wondering what you guys think about it?

Looking forward to hear from you.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Any reasons why the sidebar is created with a section?

You can actually allow sidebar with Sections using this filter:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_sections_sidebars/

Sumit

The reason we are using page sections to do that is becaue it is part of the page. If we were to use widgets to do that it will be really hard to manage it all.

And as you can see that sidebar has a functionality that takes user to the right section of the page once you click on it.

I shared that link with developer and he said that function is for dynamic sidebar and we are in need of creating a static sidebar. Whatever that means.

Can you help me out wit this?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m not really sure what he is trying to say unfortunately.

Sounds like he would need to create a custom solution for you if the default sidebar cannot be used.

Sumit

are you 100% sure I will be able to create current sidebar with same functionality with the solution you suggested?

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_sections_sidebars/

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Your site is basically completely custom coded with over 5000 lines of CSS by the developer so at this point I would go with the advanced custom field he is suggesting instead of re-doing the sidebar functionality.

There isn’t any built-in solution that would help with this unfortunately.

Sumit

This does not answer my question, if the functionality exist in the theme there should not be any need to involve other plugin.

There is no limit on amount of plugins one can use on a wordpress site and I wish to minimize that number rather than bloating the website by adding plugins that are not 100% necessary.

Come to think of it, I have never really had any problem with this layout until recently I updated the generatepress. It started breaking recently when I updated generatepress products.

I request you to please take a good look at what might be causing it. If my developer had a solution for it, I would not be contacting support.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I’m curious as to why they think it’s the sidebar? Does the issue go away if you remove the sidebar?

To me, it looks like the sub-menu is visible while it’s loading, then it hides. That’s causing the weirdness you’re seeing.

It also looks like the menu item text is starting out larger, then it’s decreasing in size once the CSS loads.

Does the first issue continue if you temporarily disable the sub-menu?

It’s also worth noting that the header and navigation are 100% custom code, they aren’t using GeneratePress code at all, so it’s very unlikely a theme update would affect it. It’s very difficult for us to debug and support custom solutions like this that aren’t actually using the theme’s code.

Hopefully the above helps you debug a little further.

Sumit

Thanks Tom, Looks like menu itself was a problem. I also thought same, how sidebar can be causing this when there is no problem with the sidebar itself.

Now see the there is fluctuation issue with the buttons, which I assume would be due to the issues with button’s css itself.

I had no idea he was running with complete custom code. I specifically told him to use generate press to modify and create these things, I would assume he should have been using generate press to create something like menu at-least.

This bring me down to few burning questions.

1. Is it possible to create such a website layout by staying within generatepress ecosystem and not having to make custom solution.
    2. If he made the whole thing as a custom solution how come an update in generatepress can be causing this issue, because I would assume whatever custom code he did would be completely independent of generate press itself. If not what make the code rely on generatepress so an update could break it.

Thank you.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. You could easily create that header in GeneratePress, there’s no need for the custom solution. In fact, you likely wouldn’t need any custom code at all.

2. I’m not sure, it depends on how he did the customizations. The latest update to GP didn’t have any coding changes on the frontend of the theme – all of the changes were in the block editor.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.