[Resolved] Showing Specific Category preview

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Showing Specific Category preview

Home Forums Support Showing Specific Category preview

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Monique Montes

Is there a way to make specific category previews show up under one menu title link?

I.E. When you go to my navigation bar, I have one tab that says ‘Daily Reads’, then I have two subcategories on the dropdown list under it. If you click ‘Daily Reads’, you just get a mix of the daily reads category posts with the other two subcategory posts.
    Is there a way to make it so that when you click ‘Daily Reads’, it takes you to a page with all of the daily reads posts [only] and then on the side or below the posts it shows the other two subcategories, each with its own latest post or image next to it.

Sorry it’s really hard to explain what I am trying to do. This site is the perfect example of what I am tyring to do

http://cupcakesandcashmere.com/

if you click on “Beauty” in her navigation menu, it will take you to mini previews of each subcategory that is under its dropdown list.

Monique Montes

oops sorry my site is

moniquemontes.com

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

As of right now this isn’t possible – but I’m working on a plugin that will achieve something similar.

For now, you could just create a new page, and use a column shortcode like this: https://wordpress.org/plugins/lightweight-grid-columns/

Create the columns, and upload an image, then the link for the category inside each column.

It involves a little more work – but you can accomplish the exact look you’re looking for that way.

Let me know if you have any questions πŸ™‚

Monique Montes

I downloaded the column plugin and inserted an image and category link in between the shortcodes but it didn’t seem to work…. is there another column plugin you would recommend?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm that one should work well – I’m using it on the homepage here and on the addons page.

Do you have a page live where you’ve tried so I can take a look?

Monique Montes

http://moniquemontes.com/daily-reads/

this is the live page with the columns. I finally figured out how to use the shortcodes; however; I can’t figure out how to get all of the “daily reads” category posts to show up on the page and have the two columns with the sub categories on the right side (basically like a sidebar).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Monique,

I’m not sure what you mean?

When you click on the category, you want the posts to show up in columns?

Let me know – there should be a solution πŸ™‚

Monique Montes

hmm let’s see if I can explain this…

Basically when I click my menu page “daily reads” I want only a specific category latest posts to show up and then on the side bar have the the two subcategory titles with pictures/descriptions visible, so that if someone wants to go to the subcategory post they can just click that picture/title and it will take them to that page of that subcategory.

A perfect example of what I want is here: http://yogawithadriene.com/free-yoga-videos/

when you hoover over “free yoga videos” in the menu bar, you see there are 4 subcategory posts. When you click on “free yoga videos” it takes you to a page with all 4 of those subcategory posts’ summaries/link+photo. That is basically what I would like for each of my menu links with subcategories.

my website is moniquemontes.com

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

What the yoga website is doing is pretty much exactly what you’re doing.

First, they have the categories added to the menu bar – which is looks like you’ve figured out how to do.

Then, when you click on a link, for example Yoga Videos, you’re taken to a page that shows all of the posts inside that category, which is exactly what you’re doing on your Daily Reads page.

Are you wanting to show posts from sub-categories on the Daily Reads page as well?

I believe if you want to show posts on a category page like that (.com/category/dailyreads) you’ll need to add the dailyreads category to those posts.

Another option if you don’t want to categorize your posts like that is to use tags.

Then, you can show all of those posts by tag (.com/tag/yourtag)

I hope I’m making sense! This stuff is pretty hard to communicate over a forum.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Monique Montes

Yes I go the categories on each page down πŸ™‚

Now the only thing I am trying to accomplish is how I can get “subcategory previews” on my Daily Reads page i.e. how to get Body Perfect and Monthly Favorites category previews to display when someone clicks on Daily Reads

Thank you again for all of your help and quick responses! I really appreciate it!!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm at this time that’s not possible using GeneratePress – the category pages are default WordPress functionality, and just show posts from the queried category.

You could possibly use a plugin like this to display recent posts from a category in your sidebar: https://wordpress.org/plugins/recent-posts-widget-extended/

Then use a plugin like this to show that widget with the latest posts for a specific category on your Daily Reads category page: https://wordpress.org/plugins/display-widgets/

That’s the only solution I can come up with right now. I do have a plugin in the works that will make displays posts much easier – so when I release that it may do what you’re looking for πŸ™‚

Thanks!

Monique Montes

It almost worked!

However, a default right sidebar appears on my home page even though I don’t have those widgets set up to show. Is there a way to only get a right sidebar to show on category pages and not on the home page?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, the blog and category pages will use the same sidebar layout – afraid there’s not much I can do about that (they’re basically the same template).

Would it be possible for you to add any useful widgets on your home page so the default ones don’t show?

Glad we’re getting there πŸ™‚

melonbird

This is a very old post, but the search function recommended it for what I’m wanting. Did this plugin become available, and if so, is it still working?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Did this plugin become available?

No, I don’t think so.

As it’s an old topic, can you open a new topic for your request, we will be happy to take a look.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.