[Resolved] Show search box in navigation?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Show search box in navigation?

Home Forums Support Show search box in navigation?

• This topic has 37 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by David.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Karen Mobbs

Hello

In an earlier version of GeneratePress, the search in the navigation appeared as a text box that was always visible and obvious for the user to type text into.

Now that I have updated, it appears simply as the search icon (magnifying glass) and the input box only appears when the magnifying glass is clicked on.

How can I get it back to the earlier version – where the text box is already visible?

Karen

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Karen,

That’s odd – the navigation search has looked like it is now since I introduced it – not sure why yours wouldn’t have had the style.

You can disable the built in navigation search, and then follow the instructions found here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/generatepress-search-how-to-change-visual-display

Let me know if you have any questions πŸ™‚

Karen Mobbs

My apologies Tom! I realise now that I was using a widget to control the search and not using the one available in GeneratePress through the navigation search setting.

So sorry for bothering you. I updated a number of things at once so got confused.

Karen Mobbs

So, now a slightly different question. I have modified navigation.php to get the search widget where I want it. How could I do that in a child theme properly to avoid changing any files in GeneratePress?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What exactly did you modify in navigation.php? A specific function or a few different functions?

Karen Mobbs

I modified the function generate_navigation_position() only.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you show me what you did to it? You may be able to use a hook instead πŸ™‚

Karen Mobbs

/**
    * Build the navigation
    * @since 0.1
    */
    function generate_navigation_position()
    {
    ?>
    <nav itemtype=”http://schema.org/SiteNavigationElement&#8221; itemscope=”itemscope” id=”site-navigation” role=”navigation” <?php generate_navigation_class(); ?>>

<?php do_action(‘generate_inside_navigation’); ?>
    <h3 class=”menu-toggle”><span class=”mobile-menu”><?php echo apply_filters(‘generate_mobile_menu_label’, __( ‘Menu’, ‘generate’ ) ); ?></span></h3>

<?php
    wp_nav_menu(
    array(
    ‘theme_location’ => ‘primary’,
    ‘container’ => ‘div’,
    ‘container_class’ => ‘main-nav’,
    ‘menu_class’ => ”,
    ‘fallback_cb’ => ‘generate_menu_fallback’,
    ‘items_wrap’ => ‘<ul id=”%1$s” class=”%2$s ‘ . join( ‘ ‘, generate_get_menu_class() ) . ‘”>%3$s‘
    )
    );
    ?>
    <?php if ( is_active_sidebar(‘header’) ) : ?>

<?php dynamic_sidebar( ‘header’ ); ?>

<?php endif; // end sidebar widget area, added by Karen to get search widget into navigation area ?>

<!– .inside-navigation –>

</nav><!– #site-navigation –>
    <?php
    }

Karen Mobbs

<?php if ( is_active_sidebar(‘header’) ) : ?>

<?php dynamic_sidebar( ‘header’ ); ?>

<?php endif; // end sidebar widget area, added by Karen to get search widget into navigation area ?>

Karen Mobbs
    <?php if ( is_active_sidebar('header') ) : ?>
    				<div class="header-widget">
    					<?php dynamic_sidebar( 'header' ); ?>
    				</div>
    Karen Mobbs

Sorry, had trouble putting code in to show you!

Last post shows bit of code I entered into generate_navigation_position(), shown in bold partly in my post where I tried to copy all of the function in.

Hope that makes sense.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Interesting, so I’m assuming you removed the header widget area from the header as well then?

In the most recent versions of GP, this nav position function is overwrite-able.

Basically, grab this function, and then add your code to it.

if ( ! function_exists( 'generate_navigation_position' ) ) :
    /**
     * Build the navigation
     * @since 0.1
     */
    function generate_navigation_position()
    {
    	?>
    	<nav itemtype="http://schema.org/SiteNavigationElement" itemscope="itemscope" id="site-navigation" role="navigation" <?php generate_navigation_class(); ?>>
    		<div class="inside-navigation grid-container grid-parent">
    			<?php do_action( 'generate_inside_navigation' ); ?>
    			<h3 class="menu-toggle">
    				<?php do_action( 'generate_inside_mobile_menu' ); ?>
    				<span class="mobile-menu"><?php echo apply_filters('generate_mobile_menu_label', __( 'Menu', 'generate' ) ); ?></span>
    			</h3>
    			<div class="screen-reader-text skip-link"><a href="#content" title="<?php esc_attr_e( 'Skip to content', 'generate' ); ?>"><?php _e( 'Skip to content', 'generate' ); ?></a></div>
    			<?php 
    			wp_nav_menu( 
    				array( 
    					'theme_location' => 'primary',
    					'container' => 'div',
    					'container_class' => 'main-nav',
    					'menu_class' => '',
    					'fallback_cb' => 'generate_menu_fallback',
    					'items_wrap' => '<ul id="%1$s" class="%2$s ' . join( ' ', generate_get_menu_class() ) . '">%3$s</ul>'
    				) 
    			);
    			?>
    		</div><!-- .inside-navigation -->
    	</nav><!-- #site-navigation -->
    	<?php
    }
    endif;

Then add it using one of the methods here: http://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/adding-php-functions/

Karen Mobbs

Thank you very much Tom!

That works properly in my child theme now.

Karen

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome πŸ™‚

Anonymous

Hi Tom,

I realize that this post is older although it raises a question that I’m attempting to solve.

The customizer offers the option to introduce a navigation icon in the primary menu. There does not however appear to be an option to change this to a text form with a submit button.

Is there a way to achieve this without changes to the PHP code?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.