[Support request] Should I go for child theme

Home Forums Support [Support request] Should I go for child theme

Home Forums Support Should I go for child theme

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    iamarghya

I just found that after certain lines of code you should consider using a child theme I have almost 1000+ codes/// Should I go for a child theme and I have added my CSS in WordPress additional CSS So WHat will be the best way to change to that?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Iamarghya,

Yes, you may already want to use a Child Theme with that amount of custom CSS.

You can use the style.css file in the Child Theme, and you may move CSS from Additional CSS to this file as well: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/#using-a-child-theme

Hope this clarifies!

iamarghya

But when I change something in the child theme there will be no live preview right and also I have 0 knowledge about the child theme. I did read the article u just gave but is there any details documentation of step-by-step how to use or edit it?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Here’s the article with regards to using the Child Theme: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

You can add CSS through Appearance > Theme File Editor > GeneratePress Child > style.css.

You’re right. There’s no preview when you add changes in style.css. What you can do is to add them first through Additional CSS, and then when you’re okay with the code, move them over to style.css.

Hope this clarifies!

iamarghya

Yes, that can be a good way to see the changes live so I just need to activate the child theme and copy-paste my existing additional CSS code into the style.CSS right? Actually, I installed simple CSS but There are no color indication like Additional CSS there is all one black color so it is hard for me to quickly select and changes the code.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Simple CSS works almost in the same way as Additional CSS. If you have a lot of CSS code, I would suggest using a Child Theme still.

iamarghya

Yes, I am actually considering using a child theme so I just need to download the child theme from that article and activate the theme as the article said after that do we need to create any CSS folder or everything will be there I mean what is the process after activating it?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Make a copy of you Additional CSS before activating the Child Theme.

There should already be a style.css file already when you activate the Child Theme.

Of course, it would always be best to create a backup of your site before making a major change.

I would suggest using a staging site as well just to be sure.

Hope this clarifies!

iamarghya

Got it an extra question adding google analytics code manually or using Sitekit which is more light in your opinion? What do u suggest for the process or adding google code for getting the best speed possible?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Personally, I would add it manually as Site Kit seems to add more stuff from past experience. But you can try both and see which is better performance-wise.

iamarghya

Manually means by hook elements right?

iamarghya

Yea So I decided to go for the child theme but my hosting provider doesn’t give me a staging site option and I don’t want to manually do it or with any plugin so I decided to just activate the child theme and add the CSS from the additional CSS… Would that be ok?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

That should work.

iamarghya

Thanks for the confirmation, doing it now and that article about using a child theme has the zip file right…That is the one right?
    and I need to add the CSS in the style.css right?

iamarghya

Can I get a quick confirmation for this, sorry for rushing…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.