[Resolved] Should I be using Gutenberg? Help a noob out :)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Should I be using Gutenberg? Help a noob out :)

Home Forums Support Should I be using Gutenberg? Help a noob out :)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kris

I just updated an old site to the latest wordpress 5.3.2 and installed GP Premium (to replace a very old paid Canvas theme) and I am very confused about Gutenberg.

I watched many videos about Gutenberg and it seems to be the answer to many problems. However when I edit a page it seems to be in classic editor. I have since installed the Classic Editor plugin and am working like I used to.

I guess my question is: Should I be using Gutenberg instead as its features will allow me to ditch many standalone plugins?

(under settings-writing I see you can ‘force’ Classic or Block editor but I do not see any change in behaviour when I choose one or the other)

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

It’s really personal preference.

I would say that you can leave the existing content as it is, but start using Gutenberg editor for new content.

Should I be using Gutenberg instead as its features will allow me to ditch many standalone plugins?

I can’t really answer that unfortunately as I don’t know what features/options you are looking for.

I would start by testing the available Gutenberg blocks first and see you can achieve the desired layout. If so then you can definitely ditch the other plugins.

Let me know if this helps 🙂

Kris

Actually that helped a TON. I will use classic for my old pages which I usually do not edit much.

I will use Gutenberg for new pages.

The main feature/option I like about Gutenberg is the insert table element as I use tables a lot. My current table plugin works but is very clunky.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome!

Glad I was able to help.

Sooner or later the plugins should all have block formats too. Right now everyone is still in the transitional period so things are a bit tricky.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.