[Resolved] Should I be using Columns or Grid?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Should I be using Columns or Grid?

Home Forums Support Should I be using Columns or Grid?

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Leo.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carrie

I’ve just moved from Elementor Premium to GeneratePress Premium.

I’m now rebuilding everything as it didn’t come over nicely because of the Elementor elements. I’ve been using the Grid and Container blocks because of their ability to influence spacing/padding, but now I’m concerned should I be using Columns instead of Grid for simple columns because I might end up stuck if I ever change the theme in the future?

I’m worried about getting locked in – it’s unlikely I’ll change but I want the site to be sustainable and easy to change if I need.

Can you let me know if there are pros and cons of using columns vs grid?

Thanks

Stephen

I’m not an expert but…

You are referring to the Generate Blocks plugin which provides the grid option in the Gutenburg page builder and this is separate to the Generate Press theme.

You can use Generate Blocks and Gutenburg with every theme I believe so you wont have a problem with using different themes.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Stepen is correct ( thanks Stephen ) – the GenerateBlocks plugin is theme agnostic so if you did ever want to switch to a different theme the layouts created with GenerateBlocks will remain.

Aside from that Columns is pretty limited when it comes to design control….

Carrie

Ah thank you, I activated both of them at the same time so I didn’t realise it was part of Generate blocks, apologies.

That’s really good news. Like you said, David, columns is so limited in design options that I really want to use the Grid block but was worried about being stuck again, but it sounds like I won’t be.

Can I squeeze in one other question?

I’ve been putting my grids in an overall container (I’m sure I read somewhere that I should). It seems to give me more control again over padding, is this best practice or anything I’m doing wrong by using that approach every time?

Thank you!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’ve been putting my grids in an overall container (I’m sure I read somewhere that I should).

That’s a good practice that we always use as well 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.