[Resolved] Short Code to add a Post Widget

Home Forums Support Short Code to add a Post Widget

• This topic has 15 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Tom.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    DJ

Hello, I’m using the Pivot Template and the Beaver Builder Plugin. I’m trying to figure out how to add a widget to show my recent posts, but I’m need some assistance with the shortcode. Any insight would be appreciated.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the Theme doesn’t provide shortcodes for displaying posts.
    Couple of ( many ) options:

1. Beaver Builder premium has a Post Widget i believe.
    2. The WP Show Posts plugin allows you to create post lists and display them with the shortcodes it provides.

DJ

They offer a html widget module, but I’m still in need of code that I can use to show the recent post and WP Post doesn’t have any options that provide links to the recent post, unless I missed it. Please advise.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

WP Show Posts will show your recent posts if that’s what you have set in the list settings.

This is another option: https://wordpress.org/plugins/recent-posts-widget-extended/

DJ

That plugin worked great Tom, but the border of the sidebar widget doesn’t align as the Blog page on the Pivot Template. Any suggestions on how to align everything?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Any chance you can link me to the page so I can see?

DJ

I’m using a localhost. Is there a way for you to view it or an means for me to send you screenshots?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

A screenshot might help, but I may need you to put the site up on a live server to fix the issue.

DJ

Ok, I have no problem with that. However, this is the first time I’ve used a local host and my current site is live at dirikijordan.com. I’ve found conflicting articles online of how to backup my current live site, and migrate my local host site to my live server. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this correctly so I won’t ruin my live or local host version? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    DJ

Ok Support, I figured out how to solve the problem, but I have a new concern. I’ve been rebuilding my site on a local host and have it about 85% to 90% where I want it. I just realized that I did not build a Child Theme for my rebuilt site and would like to do so before I migrate it to my live server. Can I build a Child Theme on my localhost where my site’s current progress is at and if so will this effect any of my future updates? Should I have created my Child Theme on a fresh install or does it not make a difference? Please advise on the best way to proceed forward and if I should even use a Child Theme at this point or redo my localhost site over from scratch and create a Child Theme?

Thanks DJ

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

a Child Theme is only required if you intend to make changes to Theme templates. Also good to have if you need to add functions or have an excessive amount of Custom CSS.

If all of your changes are within the Theme customizer or plugin settings then it is not required.

You can of course add one – this article explains and provides a link to a blank starter:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

Please note the following things are Theme dependent and will need updating when a child theme is installed:

1. Site Identity – Logo
    2. Customizer > Additional CSS –> This will will need copying from Parent Theme

DJ

Good to know. I redid my site with GP and Beaver Builder so I can make most of my changes within GP and BB as not to ruin code. However I do have some small changes to change font size and make a couple of titles bold. Will this be an issue?

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Definitely won’t be an issue. If you only have a small amount of custom CSS, you can add it in Customize > Additional CSS instead of using a child theme.

DJ

Sounds Good! Appreciate the help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.