[Resolved] Serving optimal featured image file (to both mobile and desktop)

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Serving optimal featured image file (to both mobile and desktop)

Home Forums Support Serving optimal featured image file (to both mobile and desktop)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sil

We use the blog module from GP Premium to display the Featured image of a blog post.
    That works nice, the image is displayed to the website visitor at the right size on both desktop & mobile and anything in between, neat and responsive.

However, the Google PageSpeed Insights tool results tells its getting served the original image files, resulting in a low mobile and desktop pagespeed score.

The file that is being served to desktop / mobile seems to be the original file that is uploaded as featured image.
    Is it not filtered though one of WordPresses image sizes (thumbnail, medium, large, etc)?

The same goes for the images we upload in blog posts.
    I’m assuming the theme’s job is filtering blog post images through the WordPress ‘image sizes’ so they are adaptive in file size (as well as them being shown in the right resolution on the right device, responsive). (and that GeneratePress does this)

Or do we need a bit of extra configuration?

I seem to be missing something here, hope you can help.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you right click the image and click “Inspect”, you’ll see we’re using srcset to display different image sizes at different screen widths.

If Google is complaining about the main image, perhaps try adjusting the width value in the Customizer.

It could also be that Google Pagespeed Insights isn’t recognizing srcset – it wouldn’t surprise, that tool needs some serious updating.

Sil

Thank you Tom!

The Customizer adjustment did not make Google PageSpeed Insights happy.

So for now I’m assuming the Google tool needs updating, and look for other tools.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Best thing you can do is get your page speed as fast as possible. You can test it with tools like Pingdom or GTMetrix 🙂

Sil

That is definitely the goal!
    I use both sometimes, but their closest test locations are the UK & Sweden.
    Our core audience is in the Netherlands, but its great as an indicator though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.