[Support request] Server Update Error

Home Forums Support [Support request] Server Update Error

Home Forums Support Server Update Error

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Tyler

Hello GP,

I just recently updated my server configuration to PHP 8.0 and noticed GP errored out immediately.

I placed the debug information in the private info in the support area on the submit form. It may not be the PHP issue, but that is the only change made today. GP worked fine before and crashed after.

Any help would be appreciated.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Can you check if the same issue exists if you activate the parent theme?

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Tyler

Hi Leo,

It appears the critical error is present even when selecting the non-child GeneratePress theme.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Do you have any custom functions on the site? I’m not able to replicate this on my PHP 8 test site.

The arg it’s complaining about should be an array by default, but there is a filter there so it’s possible that it’s returning true/false instead if the filter is in use.

Tyler

Hi Tom,

That’s a good point. The child theme does have custom functions. From the debug info its referring to typography. I will need to look at the exact code, but there was one attempting to stop the loading of the Google fonts library (as the site fonts are set elsewhere). I could post those in the private info if needed, but I’m thinking the issue might lie elsewhere as it crashes even selecting the non-child GP theme. I was thinking the custom functions would not apply when reverting back to the main parent theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Are you using the Code Snippets plugin perhaps?

Basically, that error is saying the generate_get_all_google_fonts() function is returning true or false instead of an array of fonts.

Tyler

Hi Tom,

Just for review I’ve sent my current functions.php content in the private box. Even after removing the potentially conflicting code, the error message is still present. Could it be something server end that could have been in one of the new cpanel/WHM updates?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, nothing there that would do it.

Any other source of functions on the site? The Code Snippets plugin perhaps?

I don’t think it would be server related, as this is just a PHP function returning something it shouldn’t be.

Tyler

After contacting my host provider support we were able to fix the issue. While looking at the error logs they found a cascade of errors in many plugins (even some in GP according to the tech) due to the 8.0 upgrade. He reverted that particular server back to 7.4 and it immediately started working smoothly and the error log cleaned up.

So I probably will just give plug-in developers time to update and try 8.0 around the new year, as 7.4 is providing good performance as is for the time being. Since itโ€™s only a few days old Iโ€™m sure it will cause bugs that will be worked out in time.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We’ll keep an eye on it. I haven’t noticed any errors on our PHP 8 test site so far with GP and GP Premium active, but I’ll keep testing ๐Ÿ™‚

Tyler

Thanks for the response, I was just taking the techs word for it. GP might actually be just fine. It did appear though that many plugins failed the 8.0 upgrade, even some premium paid plugins I didn’t expect to fail. Probably won’t be long before updates are rolled out to fix those plugins.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Agreed – thanks for letting us know ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.