[Support request] Serve Scaled Images – Blog Posts

Home Forums Support [Support request] Serve Scaled Images – Blog Posts

Home Forums Support Serve Scaled Images – Blog Posts

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Emma

I’m having some issues with my page speed which from what I can gather relates to ‘serving scaled images’. I just wondered what size the images for my blog posts should be before uploading them? Is there a specific size I need to make them before adding them to the site?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

in Customizer > Layout > Blog –> Featured Imaged > Archives == do you have any width / height values ?

Emma

There are no width and height values. I presume it is just using the standard settings for the featured image size.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Well all the markup is correct and there is src-set images that the browser should be ( and probably is ) choosing from.

Can you try disabling the lazyloader to see if that is interfering or confusing the test.

Emma

I have disabled the lazyload, there still seems to be issues coming up relating to serving scaled images. It’s not a big problem, I just wanted to make sure I was uploading the blog posts images at the correct / optimal size going forward to avoid causing any potential issues.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Very odd – the src-set images are there so i cannot see an issue with it. And some of the image sizes being reported on GT Metrix don’t match the markup. Do you have any server caches that can be flushed ?

Emma

I have just flushed the server cache. Not sure if that has made any difference.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Very peculiar.
    You can try selecting a smaller media attachment size:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adjusting-the-featured-images/

Emma

Do you mean changing the size that the images display on the website? I wouldn’t want to mess with the look and layout too much, I am very happy with how it looks (apologies if I am misunderstanding.)

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Its not a permanent change you can simply tell the Archive to use the Medium sized attachment in Customizer > Layout > Blog –> Featured Images –> Archive and select the Media Attachment size.

If it don’t work you can always change it back 🙂

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adjusting-the-featured-images/

Emma

I have done this and I am still getting the same errors relating to serving scaled images. I’m not sure what else to try.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Odd – can you select the Medium Image attachment in Customizer > Layout > Blog –> Featured Images > Archive ?

Emma

I have done this, I’m still getting errors relating to serving scaled images but now the errors only seem to be regarding two of the blog images. Changing this setting to medium has also slightly altered how the archive images display on mobile (I presume I need to put a size in the size field to get the images to display how they were before but I’m not sure what this should be?).

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK so that did what i hoped it would which is to change the src-set and dimensions in the image HTML. Now i would suggest registering a new thumbnail size to select in the blog settings:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-image-sizes/

400px will cover the plus size mobiles.
    Their will still be some resizing on desktop but a lot less then it is with the full image

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.