[Resolved] Sections and wordpress editor issue

Home Forums Support Sections and wordpress editor issue

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mike

I am using Sections, because gutenberg doesn’t seem to allow ‘fullwidth’ row with ‘contained’ columns (if you know how to do this I’d love to know).
    After adding all my sections – saving – and coming back – all the HTML for the sections is shown in the wordpress editor. It doesn’t matter, it’s not broken or repeated on render – but it’s ugly and weird. Is this intentional or a bug? Can I remove the WP editor when using sections?

By way of thanks and a request – Just starting with GP – very glad to have found it. I went to a Theme Builder a few years ago because coding got too much. But I’m going back to code because every builder eventually adds so much crap, bloat and fancy JS I don’t need it kills the speed. One of my sites in Divi – PageLoad: 6.2 secs, Pagespeed: 79%, Ysolw: 62%, Size: 2.2mb. Elementor – PL: 3.4, PS: 90%, YS: 72%, Size: 824k. GP – PL 2s, PS:99%, YS 87%, Size: 467k. Can’t remember the Requests, but MANY for divi, about 60 for elementor – down to 24 with GP – and most of that is native WP.
    Don’t know, just thought it might be nice to know. Yes, i have to hand code stuff now – but the performance is amazing.
    Please be different to every other ‘themer’ and continue to develop for speed and necessity – not to add a ton of useless features and bloat πŸ™‚ You’ll have at least one fan for life πŸ™‚

Hope you’re all doing ok in these strange times.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Are you just starting to build the site?

If so I would highly recommend using our upcoming block plugin GenerateBlocks to achieve the layout you are going for:
    https://generateblocks.com/

It’s currently in Beta testing but we are moving along nicely and getting ready for the official release soon:
    https://generateblocks.com/install/

One of the main goals of the plugin is to replace the old Sections add-on which won’t be getting any updates now.

Let me know if this helps πŸ™‚

Mike

That looks ideal – and I can still use my own svg dividers. I looked at multiple ‘extra blocks’ plugins – but they all used loads of JS. What weight does this plugin add to the page?
    Thanks for the plugin, and the quick response.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

GenerateBlocks doesn’t require any JS, and the CSS is dynamically loaded – so its zero bloat and very very efficient.

Mike

Wonderful stuff, thanks David.
    Just in case others come across this thread and (like me) are new to Gutenberg etc.
    Editing columns or nested objects – it can get really hard to ‘click select’ containers. (e.g. create full-width container, drop in a shortcode and it’s impossible to click the container any more).
    But there’s a breadcrumb at the bottom of the screen, enabling you to select this way. Maybe obvious, but it took me a fair while to find it!

Mike

Marking resolved

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yep – and the Block Navigator can be a frustration saver too:

https://docs.generateblocks.com/article/block-navigation/

Bee

This happened to me too after I upgraded to WordPress 5.4. The pages with sections now automatically create a Classic block in the backend editor with the content of the sections. It doesn’t show on the frontend page, but it’s confusing.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This is fixed in 1.10.0-beta.2, which is available for testing: https://generatepress.com/gp-premium-1-10-0/

Bee

thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
    Harvey

Mike,

For your comment about the breadcrumb trail, you get a big (virtual) hug! Thanks a million. Had noticed it some days ago and not appreciated its utility at the time.

Harvey

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.