[Support request] Reusable Template – Not Default Gutenberg One

Home Forums Support [Support request] Reusable Template – Not Default Gutenberg One

Home Forums Support Reusable Template – Not Default Gutenberg One

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ian

Now that the new GP and GB are out, is there a way to create a Reusable Element let’s say with a parent Container > Gird > 3 columns and insert 1 staff member / column. Then find a way to include this asset on various pages of the site so that future updates of this Element will also show wherever it was placed.

I have been using this method to do this: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/hook/#post-1038253

Wondering if any of the newer tool can do this are should we keep using this manual method?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Ian,

That is still the way to go assuming you’re using dynamic staff member because of the necessity of dynamic blocks.

If you’re going for the template only and don’t require dynamic values then you can go with reusable blocks instead but move the contents out of its “reusable block” container and delete the reusable block once you’re done so it doesn’t get affected when you save.

Ian

Thanks Elvin. Let me make sure I completely understand. When you say to move the contents out of it’s reusable block, did you mean to convert it to a regular block? I am not 100% trusting that reusable block after a few sites simply lost it’s ability to re-edit a reusable block.

I don’t need dynamic as you had described but I do want to be able to update the “parent” block and have iterations of it update throughout the site. Do you think the original “hooky” method is still the best method? If so, wouldn’t be great to have this functionality built in to GP or GB? 😉

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

This is what I meant – https://share.getcloudapp.com/geupp5ND

It’s basically saving the template to a reusable block but not really using the reusable block itself. 🙂

I don’t need dynamic as you had described but I do want to be able to update the “parent” block and have iterations of it update throughout the site. Do you think the original “hooky” method is still the best method? If so, wouldn’t be great to have this functionality built in to GP or GB? 😉

This “iteration” seems to still need dynamic values.

The alternative to hooky method is the video I just showed you but you have to manually re-add the template on each page itself instead of just a shortcode block for the hook shortcode. Plus you also have to set your iterations manually or create a snippet that lets you display the iteration dynamically.

That said, I still think the “hooky” method is better.

And yes, it would be nice if Block elements have shortcodes so you can place them anywhere. Would you like it to be logged as a feature request?

Note: Logged feature requests aren’t guaranteed to be implemented. While the dev team tries to implement as much as they can, the requests to be implemented are deliberated considering the # of votes or requests for it. 🙂

Ian

First of all, I normally click on Convert to Regular block to disable the Reusable one. Glad to know once you drag it out, it also does the same thing, thx!

I think you are right in that the hooky method is still the easiest as updating the original “parent” element would update all iterations throughout all locations.

At this point, I think being able to grab a shortcode and display a Block Element is powerful. I find myself creating repeating blocks like physical address, telephone numbers, team blocks with multiple staff members, call to action sections, testimonial sections, corporate logo sliders, etc… Also, when we run Google Call Tracking and it replaces all phone numbers throughout the site automatically, it would be nice to know that all telephone numbers we have scattered across the entire site would be updated without missing any instances. This is just one example but yes, being able to use a shortcode to display a Block Element would be so powerful! Please make this request on my behalf and thank you!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

First of all, I normally click on Convert to Regular block to disable the Reusable one. Glad to know once you drag it out, it also does the same thing, thx!

Yes, that’s right.

This is just one example but yes, being able to use a shortcode to display a Block Element would be so powerful! Please make this request on my behalf and thank you!

I’ve logged it as a Feature request. It’s up to the devs now for deliberation.

No problem. 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.