[Resolved] responsive breakpoints

Home Forums Support [Resolved] responsive breakpoints

Home Forums Support responsive breakpoints

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Patrick

Hi Tom,

which responsive breakpoints gp use in standard version?

Thanks and regards
    Patrick

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

768px is when the mobile CSS initiates.

1024px is when the tablet specific CSS initiates.

Patrick

Thanks Tom πŸ™‚

whats up with the plan to integrate different spacings for desktop, tablet and mobile versions within the customizer?

Thanks and regards
    Patrick

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I would love to, and know how I would do it.

Trouble is, I think it would cause issues for people using caching plugins (a lot of people).

I need to thoroughly test my idea with all of those plugins on a pretty large scale before making a change that big.

Jessica

The caching (in my experience) isn’t an issue. I’ve had to override the breakpoints on ever site so far b/c 768 is way too soon to make images (and other elements) snap to 100% wide. I’ve had to create so many additional styles to fix this.

If the site is intended to break sooner, then the cache would be irrelevant and affect little.

Alternatively, how can I perhaps change or disable the default break points b/c I seem to be spending a lot of time overriding these.

Example… if something is a 3 or 4 column (33-25% of the width, it’s goes to 100% wide at 768 which even on my 13″ MBP is crazy large.

From a user experience viewpoint, if there are products or multiple items on a page, it’s better to be able to show more in a row of even 2 (50%) than making the scroll longer.

(hope that makes sense – really trying to avoid having to override each time.) Thanks!

Jessica

The other thing I wonder is: do they have to be static breakpoints instead of a more “flex-box” type of fluidity? Of course, I am not familiar with what you’re doing and how much goes into updating/changing these things. Just wishing for more flexible options. πŸ™‚ Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

My idea would involve adding the media query directly to the <link> element in the <head> section, which would allow us to change the 768px to whatever using a simple PHP filter.

However, it seems some caching plugins don’t respect the media query inside the <link> element, which is what worries me.

This is something I’ll be toying with a lot in the GP 1.3.43

Max

Any updates regarding Jennifer’s comments above.

I have the same issue.

I have a four column grid layout with “how it works” steps.

The text for the steps is just once sentence each.

Looks fine in page or mobile view, but in tablet just one strung out sentence.

I am using sections.

Is there any way to control the break point on a specific section within a page.

Kind Regards

Max

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Best to start a new topic on that specific case with a link to the page. We’ll get it working for you πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.