[Support request] Replace Avatars

Home Forums Support [Support request] Replace Avatars

Home Forums Support Replace Avatars

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Florian

I’ve installed “WP User Avatar” where the user can upload an image locally.
    If the user didn’t upload an image, it still loads the Gravatar externally. I want to disable external Gravatars completely. As far as I understand, the plugin provides a method to get its local image. Is it possible to add this into the theme so whenever normal a Gravatar is displayed, it uses the plugins local image instead and never makes a connection to gravatar.com?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Doesn’t the plugin replace the avatars with the local image by default?

Or are you wanting to use a default local image if the user doesn’t have their own local image added?

Let me know πŸ™‚

Florian

It looks like the plugin doesn’t replace Gravatars in already existing comments, but I am also in contact with their support now.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sounds good, hopefully they have an easy solution πŸ™‚

Florian

Can you tell me what exactly this code does:

function remove_all_wp_avatars() {
        return "";
    }
    add_filter( 'pre_get_avatar', 'remove_all_wp_avatars', 10, 3 );

It removed the Gravatars, but my local avatar uploads still work. This is exactly what I want but I am uncomfortable to use something I don’t understand. I understand that this removes avatars by returning an empty string for, but why are the avatars uploaded locally over a plugin still working, even in the comments?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

It’s likely that filter fires before your local avatars are being added. I would need to see how the local avatars are being added to be 100% sure.

That filter doesn’t look like it’ll cause any issues πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.