[Resolved] Removing/changing the colored site title box in Mellow theme?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Removing/changing the colored site title box in Mellow theme?

Home Forums Support Removing/changing the colored site title box in Mellow theme?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mikkel

I have just installed the Mellow theme and while I don’t mind that no hero page header was installed (though I have no idea how I would add a hero image, can’t find anything in menus – but nevermind for now, don’t intend to use one), I’m struggling trying to find out how to remove or change the color of the dark grey box showing below the site title and tag line. Nothing seems to relate to it in the colors menu.
    Do I need custom CSS for this?

A broader question if someone has time for that. I’m a WordPress newbie (well, haven’t used it since 2010 and only knew the basics back then) – swayed here from all the arguments against Wix (where I currently have my artist’s website) and Squarespace – and it seems to me that things are not quite as simple on this side of the fence as some WP proponents make it sound.
    I don’t mind learning though, and I’m not in a hurry to get my new site finished, but am I correct in assuming that a lot of things might need to be done with custom CSS if I’m not happy with all aspects of a theme?
    So far it’s basically been impossible for me to find an out-of-the-box theme with overall design options I like, but ended up with GeneratePress Premium because of the plentiful praise.
    I really just need a fairly basic masonry styled blogging theme, but I find myself liking eg. the content boxes of some themes (like the GeneratePress Mellow theme or something like this – https://jevelin.shufflehound.com/blog1/masonry_sidebar/ ), while wanting a different styling of my header and possibly a few other elements.
    This seems in several cases a little tricky to accomplish using just the general customize menus – with the GP Premium plugins activated.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

– Go to Additional CSS field in the customizer and modify the background property of this block of code:

.site-branding {
        background: rgba(0,0,0,0.8);
        display: inline-block;
        padding: 10px 30px;
        border-radius: 3px;
        transition: background 500ms ease;
    }

Am I correct in assuming that a lot of things might need to be done with custom CSS if I’m not happy with all aspects of a theme?

Yeah a lot of times some simple CSS is required.

GP does have built-in masonry option though:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-columns-in-the-blog/

We are happy to help and point you in the right direction if you want to open new topics for specific questions you have 🙂

Mikkel

Thank you very much. I’ll experiment and I’m sure there will be some more questions along the way :).
    Looking at the additional CSS for the Mellow theme customization now and already seeing some interesting options with the article borders and shadows.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.