[Resolved] reisue licence feature request

Home Forums Support [Resolved] reisue licence feature request

Home Forums Support reisue licence feature request

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Agung

I notice that gp licence can be easlily abuse.
    for example someone design or sell gp activation
    unfortunately gp licence comes in plain text unencrypted
    and we can use that licence to activate new website

so need licemce reisue feauture or more secure way for our licence security

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Yes, if someone has access to your admin account on your website they can find your license key.

It’s important to only add your license key to websites where you are the admin or you trust the admins not to abuse the license. If that’s not the case it’s best not to activate your license key on that website.

We are making it harder in GPP 2.2.0, but admins who have access to your database will still be able to find the key.

LS

Hi Tom

I found this thread while looking for an answer to my question and thought I would join the conversation to ask additional questions.

Question number 1

When I log in as an admin to wordpress, I see my license key as a sequence of dots. So I do not know what it meant in the original question that the license key for administrators is visible in plain text?

Question number 2

In the “pricing / FAQ” section you say:

Your license can be activated on up to 500 websites, whether they’re for you or your clients.

Whereas in your “legal” section you say:

Where the license package allows the software to be used on multiple sites the customer/license-holder may not redistribute the originally-purchased license key provided by EDGE22 Studios LTD, to other users of the license (such as clients) for commercial benefit.

My question is: what does this mean in practice?

If I make a website for my client using Generate Press and he pays me for it, he then becomes the owner of the website and its content. Moreover, the website will be available on his (client’s) domain and hosting. How does this relate to the license key that I own?

Is it OK for me to make a website without entering a license key?

I was just wondering if you have any suggestions how to handle this properly? I like your product a lot and would like to start using it in multiple projects soon, so just wanted to clarify this.

And one of the main reasons why I decided to use your service is the number of pages I can use it on and the fact that they can be clients’ pages (or at least that’s what I understand from the FAQ section mentioned above).

I would appreciate your clarification on this matter.

Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. The user can find the license key in the HTML of the admin page for now. We’ve made it harder in 2.2.0, but it’s still visible within the database.

2. You can’t sell the license key itself. The license key belongs to the purchaser of the key and no one else (not the client unless you transfer ownership to them).

3. You can absolutely make a website without entering the key. The key only allows you to update the plugin via the WordPress admin dashboard.

So, you can use your key on client websites, but it’s still your key – not your clients. You can also simply leave the key field empty and the client won’t be eligible for updates unless they purchase their own key.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

LS

Hi Tom,
    I just realized I never said thank you for your kind response. Thank you!
    Lech

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.