[Resolved] Redirection

Home Forums Support Redirection

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    stardrive

Dear Tom,

Please, when a user wants or clicks to go to a specific page (e.g. page1), I want the user to be re-directed to another page (e.g. page2) automatically.

Please, kindly assist

Regards,

Stardrive

Jean

Hey Stardrive, you can use this function:

function my_page_redirect()
    {
        if( is_page( #ID ) )
        {
            wp_redirect( home_url( '/yourpage/' ) );
            exit();
        }
    }
    add_action( 'template_redirect', 'my_page_redirect' );

If is a post page just change is_page() for is_single()

The function goes into your child theme functions file.

Jean

stardrive

Hello Jean,

I will try your code and get back to you

Regards,

Stardrive

stardrive

Thank you so much, Jean. It is OK now

Regards,

Stardrive

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Great function, Jean 🙂

There’s also tons of redirection plugins out there for anyone who doesn’t want to use a function – just do a quick Google for “WordPress redirection plugin”.

Patrik

Hi!

I am wondering – can this also be done with the new “Elements” from GeneratePress? I am asking because if possible, I’d prefer to avoid a plugin.

Thanks a lot.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

yeah – i can’t see why not.
    You could use the Custom Hook to apply your function to the template_redirect hook.

Patrik

Thanks for the quick reply David. I think this would require me some more digging, as I’m a newbie to WP and hooks. I found out that it’s better to use wp_safe_redirect instead of wp_redirect, and also the documentation says it’s possible to do 301 redirects with that function (https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/wp_redirect/). So that’s great in principle. I just don’t know how to execute it with GP’s Elements hooks 🙂

I am using https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/redirection/ for now – the plugin is from an Automattic
    employee and has been around for ages and been maintained so it looks like quite a safe bet.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The template_redirect is a Hook so you can add any function ( that is relative ) to that hook. Whether you call the wp_redirect or wp_safe_redirect function it doesn’t matter.

Personally i would stick with the plugin as its a lot less aggravation and will have covered all the complexities of 301s etc.

Patrik

Thanks David. What I meant was that I do not know how/where/what code to put in to the Elements screen – I can see Jean’s snippet above but it’s not clear to me how to put this into GP Elements.

Anyway I am definitely sticking with the plugin, it’s quite great, and as mentioned secure/trustworthy/maintained enough – but might be good to know for reference or future readers how to do it in GP Elements.

Thanks again!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Just tested it – and unfortunately not possible – looks like Tom kept these hooks out of harms way for security reasons.

Patrik

Thank you for checking, good to know!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.