[Support request] Recreating site library site with my own content

Home Forums Support [Support request] Recreating site library site with my own content

Home Forums Support Recreating site library site with my own content

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lori

Hello,
    I just installed GP Premium, and I was trying to use the Pivot theme from the site library. I was hoping to have my site look like the preview of Pivot with the way the homepage was set up. I would like to have the same overall layout but with my own content. Do I need to import the demo content in order for it to have the same layout? I already have existing blog posts and content, so I wasn’t sure whether I should import the demo content or not. As of right now, I have not imported the demo content and I don’t see any settings in the customizer that would make my homepage look like the Pivot homepage preview. And when I tried using the Beaver Builder plugin, to create a homepage, it was starting completely from scratch. Is there a way for me to use the template of the Pivot homepage demo but edit it to use my own content?
    Thank you,
    Lori Elliott

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Definitely don’t import the demo content if you have existing content already.

You should be able to import the layout only by skipping import content step.

Let me know if this helps.

Lori

How would I go about importing the layout only? Is there any kind of tutorial that explains how to import a layout without importing the content?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

To import the theme options only, skip the content step.

So go through the import process, but when you get to the content step, just skip it.

However, a lot of Pivot is content. For example, the page header that makes the navigation transparent is content. The theme settings will only import options set in the Customizer. That includes colors, typography etc..

Kamina Graphix

Is there anyway I can import a theme from the Site Library, without losing the content I already have on my clients site?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Sites were designed to be used on new clean site installs. When importing a Site they will not remove existing content, but they will import new menus, widgets, theme settings and additional CSS that could cause ‘breaking changes’ to the existing content. If you wanted to try this then please do so only a backup/copy of the actual site and not the live site.

Kamina Graphix

Thank you for your reply… I tried installing a theme from the site library onto one of my other sites, that already have content on, I changed some of the name pages, as not to conflict with the new imported demo pages, and it worked perfectly… I first made a full backup of all the existing content and media, then imported the new theme, with its demo content… All pre existing content was still there.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear it worked! Always best to make back-ups before doing this.

Adam

After paying for GP premium. I also imported the Pivot theme.

I imported the site including demo content on top of some existing minimal content.

I discovered the imported site looks almost nothing like the demo.

I was hoping there would be a tutorial or something that would help me understand how to replicate the look of the demo, I’m not finding much.

It would seem easier to modify and customize the demo content with my own content than the reverse (recreating the demo to preserve limited content).

Should I start over? How would I do that?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Adam,

That’s strange, it should look identical once you do the import. However, conflicts can happen if content already exists on the site, as the IDs can conflict. GPP tries to handle these conflicts for you, but it’s not 100% perfect.

You can remove the imported site following the process here: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/removing-imported-site/

We’re working on a better way to remove an imported site.

Feel free to open a new support topic with specific details about what went wrong. We should be able to help fix any issues.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.