[Resolved] Recommendation for achieving full width page sections

Home Forums Support Recommendation for achieving full width page sections

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pat

Hello,
    I have been trying to transition from using the Classic Editor to Blocks (Gutenberg) with limited success. In the past, I have made extensive use of Sections and Lightweight Grid Columns to achieve really nice & flexible full-width content sections. I read this morning on GitHub that LGC will no longer be supported 🙁 AND I read that sections are being phased out as well in favour of a new block editor tool. I understand the logic here BUT I’m working on a project currently that requires full width sections and it doesn’t appear that I can achieve this with the Block editor and the new GenerateBlocks plugin…it doesn’t allow inner containers to break out of the outer container width (unlike sections).

I know I can technically still use sections to achieve the desired layout, but I can’t use GenerateBlocks with sections, sections is reportedly about to be retired, AND I’m reluctant to keep using LGC given it’s no longer supported.

I LOVE GeneratePress – it’s awesome, but these gaps are concerning.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

pk

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

GenerateBlocks is definitely the way to go.

You will need to make sure to activate Set Full Width Content setting:
    https://docs.generateblocks.com/article/container-overview/

Pat

I think I figured out a way to do this. For anyone else reading this & interested in achieving full-width blocks without using sections AND the ability to create mobile-responsive grid columns of varying widths:
    – Install GenerateBlocks (https://wordpress.org/plugins/generateblocks/)
    – Use the block (Gutenberg) editor
    – Add a GenerateBlocks Container block that contains ALL other blocks for the page
    – Toggle on “Make page full-width”
    – Add more GenerateBlock containers nested within the outer container, and use the Layout settings to control the Container width and the Inner Container width. A bit of a learning curve but this seems to work.

I’m still interested in knowing the fate of LGC & Sections. If a future WordPress update borks either of them, will GP be implementing a patch of some sort – or will developers need to rebuild broken pages & elements?
    Thanks,
    pk

Pat

Thanks Leo; I think I was responding at the same time you were.
    pk

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad you’ve figured out 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.