[Resolved] Rebuilding site with generatepress

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Rebuilding site with generatepress

Home Forums Support Rebuilding site with generatepress

• This topic has 28 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 months ago by Ying.
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Adarsha

So there is no way I can launch my website until then?
    I want to build homepage like I have now.

In divi I used their blurbs module.
    Can you check their blurbs module? Maybe you have something similar.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

So there is no way I can launch my website until then?
    I want to build homepage like I have now.

You can use Query Loop block for now.

Can you check their blurbs module? Maybe you have something similar.

No, we don’t currently, but we will have the GB Alpha release in about 1 week.

Adarsha

Hey, I did try a lot and with help of Query loop block did some basic stuff.
    I have attached the links at the bottom.

Sadly some design stuff look quite bad. they are almost good, so anyway you guys can help with making them a bit better?

As you can see in homepage, unable to make title , category come in good compact way.

For category page, again having issue with title not aligning with image.
    I have them all in containers. How can I make them look better?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

As you can see in homepage, unable to make title , category come in good compact way.

WP’s query loop block does have limitations in terms of customizing.
    But this is a WP core block, GP has no control over it, it’s better to reach out to WP’s support.

Or you can wait for another week for GP’s query loop block. It will be much easier to use and style.

For category page, again having issue with title not aligning with image.

For category page, you are now using a static page, but I would recommend using the default category archive, then use block element - content template to create its look, it will also give you an idea about GP’s query loop block which can be released next week or so.

Please DO watch the video in the below link to understand how the content template works:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/block-element-content-template/

Adarsha

Since this is a blog which is already live, its been always built this way. With separate pages for categories and also category archive is present.
    Maybe I can redirect category archives to category pages? Will that affect the website?

I need help with couple of things in blog module.

1. Is there a way to add default image size for all images inside blog posts? So if image is larger, it can always resize. Same if its smaller.

2. In my original website before every H2 I have more padding. For posts is there any way to add more spacing above each H2? Now post is all congested. I have linked to original post and also one built on GP.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

1. Is there a way to add default image size for all images inside blog posts? So if image is larger, it can always resize. Same if its smaller.

Customizer options will only apply to the default archive page, it won’t work on a static page.

So you will need custom CSS for that.

2. In my original website before every H2 I have more padding. For posts is there any way to add more spacing above each H2? Now post is all congested. I have linked to original post and also one built on GP.

Yes, you can set morebottom margin for H2 at customizer > typography >Typography Manager.

Adarsha

1. What is the recommended size of images in a blog post? PLease let me know the CSS and where I need to add them.

2. I don’t mean bottom of H2. I mean above H2. Please check my links from previous post.

Also I can redirect category archives to category pages? Will that affect the website?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Adarsha,

Here is a guide I found with regards to recommended Image sizes: https://visualcomposer.com/blog/wordpress-image-sizes-guide/

With regards to CSS for your static Category Page, here is something you can start of with:

.wp-block-query figure {
        width: 100% !important;
    }

.wp-block-query figure a {
        width: 100%;
    }

.wp-block-query .wp-block-group__inner-container {
        border: solid 2px rgb(150,150,150);
        border-radius:20px;
        padding:0;
        overflow:hidden;
        margin-left:20px;
        margin-right:20px;
        margin-top:20px;
        margin-bottom:20px;
    }

With regards to Post WordPress Image Blocks, here is a CSS you can try to assure images stretch 100%.

.single figure.wp-block-image img {
        width: 100%;
    }

With regards to h2 Heading Blocks is Posts:

.single h2 {
        margin-top: 60px;
    }

Kindly replace the values to your preference.

Here is an article with regards to adding CSS: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-css/#additional-css

Adding these through additional CSS should work.

With regards to redirecting the Category Archive page to a static page, it would be good to take note of David’s response here: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/rebuilding-site-with-generatepress/#post-2172306

Moreover, doing so would also most probably affect your RSS feed.

As doing this may cause issues, using the WP Query Loop Block temporarily until the GenerateBlocks Loop Block comes out is what we would recommend.

Hope this clarifies. 🙂

Adarsha

Hey. I don’t understand what you mean. I have not really turned on RSS feed. Would it affect site big time if I redirect category archives to category pages I have created?

also if you check my footer, there is a white border at top and also bottom. Not sure how its coming.
    I have attached the screenshot.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

I have not really turned on RSS feed.

What Fernando meant is that it will affect the RSS feed if you turn it on in the future.

Would it affect site big time if I redirect category archives to category pages I have created?

I don’t think so. But just based on your design, it can be easily achieved with the default archive page, there’s no need to create extra static pages.

also if you check my footer, there is a white border at top and also bottom.

Are you using block element – site footer to make the footer? If so, it’s likely caused by an empty paragraph block.

As the topic has been marked as resolved, the content in private info field has been erased.

Can you link us to your site again?

Adarsha

I don’t think so. But just based on your design, it can be easily achieved with the default archive page, there’s no need to create extra static pages.

Thanks for the reply. But what’s i’m trying to say is, those static pages are live since 8 months. They are ranking for many keywords also. I’m rebuilding the site with GP which is currently live on Divi. So if I suddently remove static pages, it will loose those keywords and also have dead pages.
    That is why I wanted to rebuild it. But since I came to know that archive pages also are same and are ranking, I wanted to know if its fine if I redirect archive pages to static pages? I will not turn on rss feed

Are you using block element – site footer to make the footer? If so, it’s likely caused by an empty paragraph block.

As the topic has been marked as resolved, the content in private info field has been erased.

Can you link us to your site again?

I closed this cause, I had to open another ticket for mobile related issue.
    But this issue is still there.
    Let me share the links below.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

wanted to know if its fine if I redirect archive pages to static pages?

Yes, you can do so, but I’m not SEO expert, I’m not sure if it will affect your ranking.

Regarding the footer issue, the bottom spacing is from the default margin bottom for paragraph:
    [removed per user’s request]

If you are using GenerateBlocks, you can use GB’s Headline block instead of the WP paragraph block, so you can set its bottom margin to 0.

The top spacing is also from paragraph block. At the bottom of this static page, there’s an empty paragraph block, just remove it.
    [removed per user’s request]

Adarsha

Hi, can you send the links in private in future and remove the above links please
    Thanks for resolving the issue 🙂

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

We can not use the private info field, only the topic starter has the option.

But yes, I can remove the screenshots 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.