[Resolved] Read More – Spacing Missing

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Read More – Spacing Missing

Home Forums Support Read More – Spacing Missing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Garth Dryland

Hey Tom

I believe I found a bug but not sure of it’s origin. If you go to my site re the blog you will see a number of read more links. They all use to work loading the text below the read more to the top of the full page post with the remaining text loading just under the menu.

The read more links now acts like as if the padding/margin is missing so now the text is hidden behind the menu and is touching the text, image or poll etc above it where as before there was about an approx 30px spacing between them.

On the blog the polling post has a link called share which also takes you to the full/main polling post. Click that and you will see the spacing that should exist between the poll table and the text below the read more link.

I suspect this is a WordPress bug though it may be theme related.

What do you think ?

Cheers

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

i can see this CSS which is effecting the top position of the readmore link:

:target:before {
        content: "";
        display: block;
        height: 35px;
        margin: -60px 0 0;
    }

Could be related to the Console warning relating to DEPRECATION – LiveSite CSS

Garth Dryland

Yeah Tom gave me that a while back.. That doesn’t explain the difference in content position from the read more link to the share link though which indicates something with the spacing re read more ?

I suspect the depreciated LiveSite is probably in relation to the vCita mail popup in the right corner.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

the :target selector only applies to a current anchor link. So clicking through to that page via the share link won’t apply it. Try increasing the height property to offset that position.

But not sure what would have changed to have caused this, as i can’t see any other CSS interfering with it.

Garth Dryland

Yes I know that, the point being is that clicking on the share link shows you the spacing the post should have between the poll, text or image which any post with a read more link clearly doesn’t.

Adjusting the property height wont impact the text layout, only the point where the page stop at with reference to the menu which isn’t the issue.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Have you tried changing the height to 60px? If i do that in the browser dev tools it fixes the problem.

Garth Dryland

That may be so David however it worked fine for years.. Not 100% sure about it working since WordPress 5 and blocks though prior to that it certainly was working for ages.. Since 10/08/2015 based on my first post date with read more used.

I’m 95% sure I originally sorted this on my staging site prior to releasing any content using read more.

I just tested read more on a clean site and it works fine so I tested on my staging site by removing the above said CSS and it worked the same as my clean test site.

I suspect the change has something to do with WordPress 5 and blocks system or something to do with it in general between then and now, given it does seem odd.. I normally don’t miss things like this so I really cant see how it was like this for long.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yeah – i was puzzled by this too, but didn’t have a pre-5 version to test it on. I think you’re right i recall there was an issue with Read Mores in the early version of the block editor, so maybe the change they made did effect it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.