[Resolved] Read More button "bug"

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Read More button "bug"

Home Forums Support Read More button "bug"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott

Tom,

I really love your GeneratePress theme. I’m learning how to use it on a website for a School Bond issue.

I would like to use hand crafted “excerpts” in the blog post page. I and the other team members will craft the excerpts manually to generate interest.

However, when I do so, the “Read More” button that I really like disappears. It only shows up on posts where I don’t define a hand crafted excerpt and let the theme grab the first X characters from the post.

It seems to me if I choose to use the “Read More” button that this button should show up whether I use a hand crafted excerpt or not. Can this be fixed in a future update?

– Scott

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Scott,

This has actually been brought up a couple times now and we are looking into it.

Here is the interim solution: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-to-display-read-more-when-using-the-excerpt-field/#post-297608

Scott

Thanks for letting me know you are looking into it for a future update. I’m not too keen on editing even a child theme’s functions.php file.

Instead I’ve added a plugin called “Read More Excerpt Link” and added some CSS to make it look like a button:

/* create what looks like a Read More button */
    .read-more-link {background-color:#222; padding:.5rem 1rem; color:white !important; border-radius:1rem;}
    .read-more-link:hover {background-color:#999;}

Let me know when you’ve added it to the theme and I’ll pull the CSS and plugin out.

Thanks again,

Scott

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks for sharing your solution!

Marcel

Hi Leo,

i have the same problem with the Read More Button.
    I am using the version GP Premium 1.7.7.
    Is the Problem nit fixed?

Best Regards
    Marcel

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

its not a bug but the way that WordPress handles excerpts. To use the readmore link with manual excerpts follow Tom’s instructions here:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-to-display-read-more-when-using-the-excerpt-field/#post-297608

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.