[Resolved] Read More boxes missing on some post excerpts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Read More boxes missing on some post excerpts

Home Forums Support Read More boxes missing on some post excerpts

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    hoya

I followed directions customize > layout > blog > content and chose a “Read More” button for excerpts on my Archive pages. However, the “Read More” button just appears on some of my post excerpts. It is missing on others on the same archive page. I should mention that I’m on a staging sight right now. My live sight does show “Read More” buttons on all posts although the live sight is using a different theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Are you using manual excerpts? If so, this might help: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/read-more-button-after-excerpt/#post-653852

hoya

All my posts have a “more” added within the post where I want the excerpt to end. Since they all have this, it doesn’t make sense why some are missing the Read More box on the archives page. I’m very new to all this, so if you still think I should try the snippet from your link, would you mind telling me where I need to put that? Thank you very much!

hoya

Actually, in those posts not showing the “Read More” box, I see just the words “Read More” within the excerpt. Maybe this is because my word count is longer than 55 words in the post before I added “More”? So, on a side note, does Generatepress have a way to have the excerpt in a unique place instead of just the same word count for each excerpt?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can try increasing the excerpt length option in Customize > Layout > Blog. That way your more tag should take effect before the excerpt length comes along.

Or, you can set the blog content to “Full Content” instead of “Excerpt” in the same section.

hoya

I ended up having to make the word count less for it to work. Thanks for your help. Is there a way to have the excerpt unique for each post, so that I can choose to end with a complete sentence? Otherwise, I guess I should just remove the more tag within my posts.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Using the more tag should allow you to end wherever you like.

Otherwise, you can use the “Excerpt” metabox on the single post. If you can’t see it, click “Screen Options” at the top right of the page, and make sure “Excerpt” is checked.

hoya

Thank you very much for all your help. Appreciate it.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re welcome 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.