[Resolved] Re-doing Website

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Re-doing Website

Home Forums Support Re-doing Website

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Janine

Hi.

I built my site three years ago using GP Premium. And I am going through GP Documentation and learning that there has been so many improvements.

I am interested in starting from scratch and rebuild my site to take advantage of the new technologies.

I do have the ability to create staging site. How can bring the staging copy up to date with all the latest improvements in GP and do away all the legacy features?

But I wonder if it would be better to start with a fresh, empty site that I just created, install a fresh copy of GP, design my site, and then import my content from the old site?

In other words, how do start with GP Premium as if today was my first day and I am switching from an old or other theme?

Finally, do you recommend that I use the GP child theme?

Thank you.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

so the major changes to GP since then are:

3.0 introduced flexbox that comes with reduced CSS and JS files. Old sites won’t enable this by default but you can do so in Customizer > General Structure.

Hooks and Page Headers were deprecated in place of the Elements Module – this article explains how to swap over to elements:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/moving-hooks-page-headers-to-elements/

Most other improvements have been very specific such as the Woocommerce Modules, the upgrade to the Off Canvas Panel or refinements to existing tools such as more typography and color options. All of which can be accessed from 3.0.

Simplest thing to do would be to move the Site to a staging site, and update to 3.0. Then update any Hooks and Page Headers to Elements.

Child Themes are only necessary if you think you may need to add custom php templates now or in the future or will be writing 100’s lines of CSS.

Janine

Thank you, David. BE SAFE. And here’s to a better 2021 for us all.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome! And to you too!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.