[Support request] Random page header on featured page (with text)

Home Forums Support [Support request] Random page header on featured page (with text)

Home Forums Support Random page header on featured page (with text)

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joey

Weird, it didn’t do that before. I tried it with Edge and Chrome, and it’s doing the same thing you mentioned (Header 4). When I purged the dynamic cache (on the SiteGround website), it changed the header (but still gets stuck on one header). I tried disabling the dynamic cache completely (with a SiteGround plugin), and now it cycles through the 4 headers on all browsers, so you should be able to see it now? However, I still get the issue of an empty header randomly appearing. I added var_dump($rand_element);.

edit:
    Sorry Tom, I didn’t answer your question. Yes, I have the original snippet that Dave gave me. This is what I get when the empty header appears:
    int(0) int(2) int(3) int(3) int(2) int(1) int(3) int(3) int(3) int(0) int(3) int(2)

The second time it appeared I got this:
    int(0) int(1) int(2) int(0) int(0) int(3) int(2) int(2) int(3) int(1) int(0) int(1)

The third time it appeared I got this:
    int(3) int(3) int(1) int(3) int(3) int(0) int(2) int(3) int(1) int(0) int(3) int(3)

Every time it is different.

I don’t have a lot of plugins on my site. The only ones related to caching are SiteGround Optimizer (which I just installed and is set to “Caching: Disabled”).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Caching will definitely mess with anything “random”, as random generation of anything goes against the idea of caching.

To fix this, let’s go with David’s solution here: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/random-page-header-on-featured-page-with-text/#post-2309800

We’re going to tweak the code a little:

add_filter( 'generate_element_display', function( $display, $element_id ) {

// Your arry of element IDs
        $el_array = array( 3137, 3032, 2352, 2523, 2523 );

$rand_element = array_rand( $el_array, 1 );

if ( is_front_page() && $el_array[ $rand_element ] == $element_id ) {
            $display = true;
        }

return $display;

}, 10, 2 );

That should do the trick I think.

Let me know 🙂

Joey

Okay, that’s working Tom. It didn’t do anything for a couple minutes, even after clearing the cache—I was worried. Thank you both for all your help.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad we could help! 🙂

Joey

I have no idea why, but out of nowhere I’m starting to get the same issue again with Tom’s new code—no page header randomly appears. I can only assume this is an issue with SiteGround’s caching, though supposedly all caching is turned off. I’m going to try hosting it myself with Digital Ocean next time I need to give them money, and see if that gives me more control. In the mean time, I don’t want to waste your guys’ time, so I’ll just leave Dave’s original code for now. If I put 10 or 20 different header elements (i.e. repeat the same header elements with different page IDs), the non-header doesn’t show up much. So that might be a good-enough solution for now. The other option would be to change the header manually. But I just wanted to follow up in case anyone else is having this issue. Thanks again for your help.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I think caching is always going to cause a bit of a headache here.
    You could ask the Host if they can set up a cron job to clear the cache on the affected pages.

But thank you for the kind feedback – much appreciated 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.