[Resolved] Question about theme installation

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Question about theme installation

Home Forums Support Question about theme installation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Norman

Hello,

I have been working on a dev site hoping to implement GeneratePress very soon on my very active membership site.

The theme installed there now is quite old and is not being updated anymore. I found out today after I upgraded my site to php 7.0 and while it was working perfectly for a few days (as it is now), when I went to save some changes to the theme, the theme became broken.

I realize now the urgency in getting GP working on my site ASAP.

I would like to share the URL to the dev site but right now, it’s only accessible to me.

Here’s what I’d like to know:

After I get my settings the way I want them on the dev site is there a way to “only” backup or copy the settings to my main site once I have it the way I want it?

I don’t want to copy my entire dev site since I have members joining on my main site now, as well as I’ve added content.

If I have to, I could put the main site in maint. mode and quickly as possible keep the tab on the dev site open to try to duplicate the settings. This doesn’t seem like the way to go.

Here’s a screen shot of the dev site using GP – https://www.screencast.com/t/oH68ENDO

It’s not finished yet (are we ever?) but as soon as I get it basically ready, I’d like to bring it over.

Great theme!

Norm

Norman

Also, I just uploaded the Plugin/Theme to my main site. “If” I activate the plugin, does it also activate the theme?

I don’t want to activate it yet so that the theme takes over.

Thanks,
    Norm

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’m not 100% sure what you are asking but I believe this should help:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/import-export-overview/

There is really no point activating the plugin if you don’t activate the theme – both needs to be activated in order for them to work.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Norman

Hi Leo,

Yes, while waiting for an answer I did see the export option, however, I’m wondering what the “Generate Press” checkbox is for at the bottom? Does that mean if I’m importing it into a GP theme to select it?

I also realized that the theme needs to be activated to work with the options. Right now I’m working on a dev site with GP and hope that when I’m done it will be as simple as exporting the settings, activating the theme and working with further settings once activated?

Thanks,
    Norm

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Norm,

The GeneratePress Site option is only if you’re planning on creating a site for the Site Library.

The Import / Export module will backup all of your GP specific Customizer settings. No content, metabox changes etc..

Migrating to the new theme depends on the changes you’re making on the development server. If these are only Customizer changes, then you can just Import / Export with the module.

If there are content changes (widgets, page content, metabox changes etc..), you’ll need to migrate the content as well.

What I’d do:

1. Clone the live site using a tool like Duplicator.

2. Install this clone on my dev server, and make any changes.

3. Once my clone is all done and ready, migrate it to the live server using that same Duplicator plugin.

That way nothing gets left behind.

Let me know if this helps or not πŸ™‚

Norman

Hi Tom,

I appreciate your response.

My main problem is that I have a membership site and since I cloned to a dev site about a week ago, I’ve had new members join on the present site, as well as added posts, etc.

The timing on it all would be an issue as I would need to almost start over cloning “again”, then customizing the new site on dev, then getting it all copied back before any members join, etc.

I “think” the best way is to simply work on the layout items within GP and export, then put my present site in maint mode for awhile, then activate GP and work with all the settings?

Definitely need to get this done since my present theme hasn’t been updated in years. I seem to get the person who comes out with a new glitzy theme, make their money and run away I guess without further updating. πŸ™

Do you think my process sounds ok?

Thanks,
    Norman

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah yea, that makes it much harder.

In that case, that process sounds perfect. Then you can make smaller adjustments on the live site once it’s moved over.

Norman

Thanks Tom,

It’s good to know some support is available like this as well.

Still trying to figure the sequence out, but I think I’m getting there.

Norm

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem – let me know if you run into any issues πŸ™‚

Norman

Hi Tom,

I have a number of features on my present theme that still make it difficult to “move on” from it.

One of the things is when I go to a category, the posts are laid out in this way:
    https://churchletters.org/category/church-letters/absence-church-letters

The first paragraph teaser is shown and then the Plus symbols are below with only letter titles. The plus symbols can be toggled on and off to show the paragraph.

Is there any feature like this instead of showing the paragraph excerpt for all the posts?

Thanks,
    Norm

Norman

Hello again,

In addition to the above question, can you let me know how I can remove the “Comment” section from blog posts?

Probably an elementary question, but so far I don’t know where to go for it.
    06.25.2018-11.43.30

Thanks!
    Norman

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That kind of layout would need a custom template file along with some javascript etc.. Not overly easy to do unfortunately.

As for the comments, you can turn them off in “Settings > Discussion”.

On pages that already have comments, you need to disable them within the “Discussion” metabox on each post/page. If you don’t see the metabox, go to “Screen Options” at the top right and check the box next to Discussion.

Norman

Ok thank you. I was thinking that might be a bit much to ask. With my particular site, it sure is helpful…

It appears that my posts (nearly 1200) have comments enabled individually which evidently overrides any global settings. Lots of work changing that if I go with the GP theme.

Thanks again,
    Norm

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The comments things is a core WordPress setting – not a theme setting (as long as the theme follows WP standards).

This plugin might save some time: https://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-comments/

Norman

Thank you Tom. That’s the perfect plugin for what I needed to do.

Much appreciated,
    Norm

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.