[Resolved] Problems with Theme Menu Bar in IE Compatibility Mode

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Problems with Theme Menu Bar in IE Compatibility Mode

Home Forums Support Problems with Theme Menu Bar in IE Compatibility Mode

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Shannon

Hello, I have just launched an internal government website/blog using the GeneratePress theme. We LOVE the theme, but our agency forces all intranet sites to open in compatibility mode (IE7) when opened in Internet Explorer (which is 2/3 of our 13,000 readers’ default browser). When the site opens in compatibility mode, the menu bar drop-downs slip behind our homepage slideshow, and also does funky things like expand and contract as you hover over each option. Unfortunately, we are unable to make changes to the code/style sheet/theme itself – we are limited to putting tags in the header. We have tried the following tag in various forms with no luck. Any help possible for us? What are we doing wrong?

<meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=EDGE”>

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

GP actually adds that piece of IE code by default.

Is this all happening in IE7? If so, GP is only designed to work on IE8 and up.

IE7 is close to 10 years old, and is mostly being fazed out (thankfully).

Let me know 🙂

Shannon

Hi Tom, thanks for responding. This is actually happening in both IE8 and IE11. All of our agency’s workstations have been upgraded to IE8, and many have been now upgraded to IE11. It seems that no matter the browser version, the “Display Intranet Sites in Compatibility View” box is defaulted to be checked in the Compatibility View Options and it is forcing the website to appear in Compatibility View which emulates IE7. We asked the agency to make an exception for our site to allow it to automatically open NOT in Compatibility View and we were denied, so I feel a bit stuck. Thanks for any help you can give.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Any way you can link me to your site? Maybe through email? support@generatepress.com

GP has this code: <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />

That basically makes it so IE in compatibility mode will emulate the latest version of IE. It definitely shouldn’t be emulating IE7.

Shannon

Hi Tom, unfortunately the link won’t work for you unless you log into one of our workstations here. I spent most of the morning having different colleagues with different versions of IE open the site in varying combinations of Compatibility View and Enterprise Mode. The site only works 100% correctly in IE8 when Compatibility Mode is manually turned off. If opened in IE8 in (default) Compatibility Mode, it doesn’t work, and if opened in IE11 in Enterprise Mode or not, it has the same issues. I read here that when IE11 emulates IE8 in Enterprise Mode, it emulates Compatibility View as well, so I thought that might be throwing things off, but I don’t understand why I’m still having trouble in plain IE11, and why that meta tag doesn’t override the default to Compatibility Mode in IE8. Thanks for helping me try to troubleshoot this.

Shannon

Hi Tom, apparently the site works 100% correctly in IE11 if our agency’s standard url ending is not listed in the settings box “Websites You’ve Added to Compatibility View.” Seems about half and half whether that url ending is in the box or not, according to those I’ve asked who have IE11.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That is super weird – it could be a setting within your network somewhere.

I’ll do some tests of my own with GP and compatibility mode to see if I can figure anything out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.