Problems with Facebook share

Home Forums Support Problems with Facebook share

Home Forums Support Problems with Facebook share

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    cath

Hi Tom, I have had this issue recently with sharing posts via Facebook. Instead of generating the title and appropriate image, it just generates the main site URL. I have been adding the image and post title but this is not how it should share.

I tried another sharing plugin and the same thing happened. It seems to generate properly via Twitter. It does not always happen but the last two times it has. (http://washingtonsquareparkblog.com)

What might cause this and how can I correct it?

Thanks!

Cath

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Cath,

That’s strange – I went into a single post and clicked “Share”: http://screencast.com/t/LjdFw8Kmmm

Looks like it’s working for me? Or is that not what you mean?

Let me know 🙂

cath

Hi Tom, thanks! Yes, that one worked. But I think the last two I have done have not. If you try with this one : http://www.washingtonsquareparkblog.com/2016/07/11/weirdly-wondrous-washington-square-park-summer-2016-part-1/ you will see.

Thanks!

Cath

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, that’s weird. What plugin are you using for the sharing buttons?

cath

Hi Tom, sorry for delay. I believe it is the Acurax social media widget. I found that if I make the width less than 600 it seems to allow the proper sharing on Facebook with title and image. Although the other day, I recreated a post and it did not work so I restored the older version.

Cath

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Super weird – I assume it’s just a bug in the plugin. You might be better off trying a different one (there’s tons of them).

Candee

I have a WP website using a WP theme with Jetpack. There is a function that automatically posts any post I put on the site to Facebook. I have been trying to do the same thing with my GeneratePress site. I cannot find anywhere that this is possible without downloading another plugin which I did, but the plugin – Facebook Auto Publish — generates an error message when I try to activate it:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ‘)’ in /home/content/90/3897890/html/MySavingPlace/wp-content/plugins/facebook-auto-publish/api/Facebook/autoload.php on line 45

I have no idea what this even means. I’m hoping someone here can help me to get something to work either through GeneratePress of a plugin.
    Many thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Looks like an error inside the code of that plugin.

I would report it to the developer so they can fix it.

Candee

I doubt that its a problem with the plugin because the same thing happened with another plugin. Also, I tried to download the Jetpack plugin (which comes automatically with the WP themes and has the auto-publish function), but the error message says that the Jetpack folder is already full. Thus, I believe that the GeneratePress theme is somehow reacting with WP and disabling the functions in Jetpack and the other auto-publish plugins. The Jetpack plugin doesn’t even appear in my dashboard yet it appears to be hiding somewhere. I can only blame this on GeneratePress since I don’t have any problem with my other websites with either WP or Socrates themes.

I simply want to auto-publish my posts to Facebook and am wondering why I can’t do it with or within the GeneratePress theme.

Thank you.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This error is specifically saying the PHP error is inside that plugin on a specific line:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_FUNCTION, expecting ‘)’ in /home/content/90/3897890/html/MySavingPlace/wp-content/plugins/facebook-auto-publish/api/Facebook/autoload.php on line 45

So line 45 in that file has a bracket where it shouldn’t causing a PHP error. GP doesn’t have any control over the contents of other files.

You can see others have the same problem with that plugin here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/cant-activate-plugin-64/

error message says that the Jetpack folder is already full

Can’t think of any message that refers to a plugin folder being full. Or does it say the folder already exists?

If it already exists, can you see it listed in the “Plugins” area at all?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.