Home Forums Support Problem with Menus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mary Pearson

I created five footer menus at https://christiangayschat.com

footer menu 1 -> *Social Group*, Theological Discussions, Discussions about being LGBT (secondary menu)
    footer menu 5 -> Daytona Beach Group, Bikers Group, Moderators (slide-out menu)

I originally put footer menu 1 in footer widget 1, etc, but instead of just the three links in each widget, it showed ALL links in each widget.

Now I have changed them to try out secondary menu and slide-out menu.
    Again, the secondary menu (top of the page) shows ALL links, and the slide-out menu – well I don’t know how it works, and I can’t see it anywhere.

What am I doing wrong? I’ve done this before at https://plantbest.com with no problems.
    Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Mary,

I’m afraid I don’t really understand.

I see a Secondary Menu at the top, a primary menu and 1 footer menu in a footer widget.

You can create multiple menus with different items and assign them to each area.

Take a look at this page: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/using-menus/

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Mary Pearson

Hi Tom,

Sorry that I didn’t explain better. I believe I know how to create new menus and assign them to different places, however they way I have done it (which I believe is correct) is not being reflected of what I created.

Primary Menu is good.
    Secondary Menu is a repeat of primary menu (All Links) when it should be footer menu 1 (Secondary Menu) and the only links should be Social Group, Theological Discussions and Discussions about being LGBT.

It is called footer menu 1 because I originally tried to put it in Footer Widget 1, but it didn’t work. Instead it showed ALL links, as it is doing now in the Secondary Menu position. The same thing happened with footer menu 2, 3, 4 and 5 when placed in Footer Widget 2, 3, 4, and 5. They all show ALL links if I use Custom Menu.

The links you see in Footer Widget 1 are not Custom Menu links. They are text links using a text box in Footer Widget 1.

footer menu 5 was supposed to go into Footer Widget 5, but instead it showed ALL links, not the footer menu 5 links, which is just Daytona Beach Group, Bikers Group and Moderators. When it wouldn’t work in Footer Widget 5 I tried it as Slide-Out, however it doesn’t slide out anywhere.

Does this explain better?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Kind of. If your menu is showing ALL links and not the ones you created a menu for, it typically means the theme location isn’t set: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/using-menus/#set-theme-location

If a menu is created with specific items and the theme location is set, then it will only display those menu items – not all of them.

Mary Pearson

Hi Tom,
    I fear I have not explained myself well. Please go to https://christiangayschat.com/screenshots/ and view screenshots with explanation. I hope that will explain better.

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m not seeing any images on that page? Just empty spaces.

Mary Pearson

Sorry Tom,

Must be a plugin conflict. Please try again.

screenshots

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, very hard for me to know what’s going on by looking at screenshots. I do know that the WordPress menu system does work though – maybe try from scratch. Delete your current menus and create new ones/apply them to locations.

Mary Pearson

Thanks Tom. Will do.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem ๐Ÿ™‚ Let me know how it goes.

Mary Pearson

Hi Tom,

I did as you suggested. I deleted all footer menus and removed them from the widgets.
    I created a new menu of Forums and gave it location of Secondary Menu, however the secondary menu once again is a repeat of the Primary Menu.

I changed themes to twenty-fifteen. In that theme the secondary menu doesn’t show up at all.

Any other ideas?

Mary Pearson

I am continuing to try to find a solution to this problem. I deactivated all plugins except GP Premium. I thought perhaps the links weren’t showing up because they were “forums” instead of pages, so first I tried putting just one custom link in the “Forums” secondary menu. It still shows a duplicate of the primary menu.

Next, again with all plugins deactivated I deleted the Forums menu and created a new menu called Test Menu. Again I selected secondary menu and double checked the Location. Indeed it is the secondary menu. I then just added one page to the menu (screenshots).

Of course I have deleted browser history and cache, and again I am stuck with secondary menu duplicating primary menu.

I really need a secondary menu for this site. Can you help please.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Any chance you can send me temporary admin login details to support@generatepress.com? I won’t be able to help with something like this without seeing it live.

luisjulcam

Hi Tom, I want to hide the menu of my page since I will add one with elementor. I managed to hide the menu in the desktop version but in the mobile version it still appears.
    What I can do?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Doesn’t look like your problem is related to this topic.

Can you open a new topic and include a link to your site?

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.